· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Malaysian driftwood question

0 Not allowed!
    I'm adding 2 peaces of malaysian driftwood and just have a few questions. I've been soaking it in boiling water for 3 days now but just read that it is fine to throw it in the tank as soon as I buy it. Is this true? When I touch the wood its still very sappy and not sure if I should put it in till the sap is gone. Also not sure of the best way to get rid of the sap. Thanks

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming
    I'm adding 2 peaces of malaysian driftwood and just have a few questions. I've been soaking it in boiling water for 3 days now but just read that it is fine to throw it in the tank as soon as I buy it. Is this true? When I touch the wood its still very sappy and not sure if I should put it in till the sap is gone. Also not sure of the best way to get rid of the sap. Thanks
    I bought a piece a month or so ago. I soaked it for about a week in a bucket, changing the water daily. I then boiled it for about 2 hours, slowing changing the water by removing some and then adding fresh boiling water. I then let it cool and placed it in the tank. It is releasing very little tannins since my water is very clear. In case you're not aware, tannins are what is released by the wood and turns the water brownish - sort of like tea. It's 100% harmless to the fish. Some people like the tea look because it gives the water a 'natural' look. Whether you like the look or not, I would recommend boiling anyway in order to kill any potential bacteria that may be living in the wood. The boiling should also release the sap.

55g African Cichlid tank -
    29g Community tank -

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep I figured that boiling would be the only good way to get rid of the sap. Just out of curiosity is the sap bad for the fish?

0 Not allowed!
    What sap? Driftwood usually does not come from species of yes that have sin or other sticky fluids in them, and also are dried and processed. If you are referring to the tannins the driftwood leaches that turn the water brownish, then that's completely harmless, even beneficial to fish. It's only the aquarist who doesn't like it. If you are talking about something slippery or slimy on the piece of wood then it might be mold. Some mold sometimes forms on new pieces of driftwood. As far as I know there are no reports of it harming fish and in my own experience nerites love eating it.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When I take the wood out of the bucket its soaking in I get a sticky substance on my hands. The only thing I can think of is sap even though it seems odd.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a lot of Malaysian in my tank. All I've ever done is soak it in the hottest water that your tap produces. I do this for 2 days changing the water when it cools down.

0 Not allowed!
    I've been soaking it in boiling water for 3 days now but just read that it is fine to throw it in the tank as soon as I buy it. Is this true?
    Yes generally.. Although:
    +1 to stickyness/sap not being typical for DW... . This was specified for aquarium use?

Most of my DW is too large to boil, I have never bothered doing anything other than simply rinsing it off and I WC the tannins out with my weekly changes for as long as it takes. [Some I have had to pre-soak to sink, Sometimes for months.]

Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis
    If you are talking about something slippery or slimy on the piece of wood then it might be mold. Some mold sometimes forms on new pieces of driftwood. As far as I know there are no reports of it harming fish and in my own experience nerites love eating it.
    That stuff is just a fungus/algae biofilm growing due to the nutrients in the water. It's harmless and yep, Snails and some fish eat it [Or it goes away in a few weeks by itself].

I prefer the technical term 'Driftwood snot' :-P.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Yes generally.. Although:
    +1 to stickyness/sap not being typical for DW... . This was specified for aquarium use?
    Yep just a bin of drift wood to go through and find pieces. After boiling for a couple of hours what ever the stickyness is has gone away.