· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default I think I have BGA

0 Not allowed!
    HI All

I need some help confirming that I have Blue Green Algae.

I am no expert, but from the reading I have done I think that is what I have.

Here is a pic of my tank:

Let me know what you think, and I would apreciate any tips for removal.

The tank has 2 live plants, driftwood, and is lit for about 9 hours a day (used to be 10, but I cut back). No Phosphates, 0 ammo, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrate.

Thanks
    I think I want a bigger tank!!

0 Not allowed!
    You are correct. That is cyanobacteria.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Aeonflame

Any thoughts oon how to get did of it?

I read about Ultralife algae remover as a more natural way to get rid of BGA

I should mention I have some have shrimp I. The tank.

Cheers

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ &quot;genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol&quot;  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    what type of light are you using? if the spectrum is too blue (ie higher numbers) then that could cause it. if BGA was not an issue before and is now then maybe its time to replace the bulb. you can try to black out the tank for a few days that could kill it off.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks genocidex

The tank is fairly new, started in late October.

I don't know the light spectrum as it is led's from Eheim that came with the kit.

I got a bit of BGA when the tank was very new, but I thought I had it under control. It now is expanding.

Cheers

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ &quot;genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol&quot;  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    ok what kit did you get that might help us. leds can be in loads of spectrums and its possible you got a 10000k led and thats causing bad algae....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure it's an Eheim Aquastyle 16 liter kit.

I'm on the road right now

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    You should check your nitrate levels - BGA needs food and that or phosphates will tend to allow that stuff to grow well. BGA is not algae so I do not think an algae remover will have any effect; antibiotic will work.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

BGA is actually a bacteria. You might want to try lowering your nitrate and phosphate levels first. If that doesn`t get you the results you need a good abtibiotic that will not effect your BB will certainly do the job for you
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've had a heck of a time dealing with this stuff personally, but I think I've finally figured the cause and solution to it. It is caused by high phosphates, at least it was in my tanks. Apparently it can be caused by other issues but I've never had any of those issues.

The high phosphates are caused by rotting food sitting in your tank somewhere. The key to removing the BGA is to figure out where this spot is and cleaning it. There are a few steps you can take:

1. Feed less. If you are feeding every day slow down to feeding once every other day. At least until you get this problem under control. Your fish will be fine eating 4 times a week. Also feed slower. Many people feed an appropriate amount of food but shove it in the tank all at once, and half ends up on the ground uneaten. If food is ending up on the ground uneaten then you are feeding too much or too fast. That alone might be the reason it is caused.

2. Make sure you are gravel vac-ing every inch of the tank on a regular basis. This can be the issue if you are only using the gravel vac once every month or two. If you do it every week then it probably isn't.

3. When do your water change rise off the filters with the water you've just removed. If you aren't doing this on a regular basis it will cause a buildup of gunk in your filter and that gunk will cause the BGA.

4. Another thing you can do is spot treat it with Hydrogen Peroxide. Turn off your filter, use a syringe, and spot treat the patches of green. Leave the filter off for about 30 minutes before you turn it back on. Don't use more than 1 ml of peroxide for every gallon your tank is, per day (20 gallon = no more than 20 ml per day). This will remove it, but it will not cure the underlying cause of it. It will come back. This method is not necessary to removing the cyanobacteria. I found once I got steps 1-3 under control the BGA went away on its own.