· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn00b
    You're going to attempt and deny the sarcastic tone of this? Give me a break. Like I said, I welcome constructive criticism but I don't need to be patronized. I can upgrade tank sizes if necessary, but didn't think it was based on the other information I had been given.
    One of the things you should be aware of on this forum is that if someone in a LFS gives poor advice, we will be the 1st people to tell you that - we don't work there and aren't losing any income by telling you what is wrong.

Our main concern is taking what you post and inform you what needs to be done differently so a fish doesn't need to hide.

We will tell you if a fish needs a larger group, whether there needs to be a certain ratio of males:females, what is the minimum tank size for a particular fish, etc. - all because we like to see people be successful in their fishkeeping - and learn before asking fish store employees for help.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Listen to what people here are telling you... it is all excellent advice from really good people who know what they are talking about, hands down.

Dwarf cichlids are just too darn territorial to be kept in small tanks. I made the mistake of trying to keep them in a heavily planted 20 and even that was a disater...

If you can't re-home them then at least try returning one for store credit and get some water conditioner or fish food.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Fishn00b, beyond the hostility here, please let me weigh in...

First things first, Cichlids are a large group of fish (as I am sure you know). Its hard to pinpoint advice knowing its just a dwarf cichlid, but that aside. The dwarf varieties are particularly succeptable to fluctuation in PH, Temp, Ammonia and all the other things it breaks down into. A 10 gallon tank can massivly change in a short period of time and it is very difficult to hold stable parameters. That is a specific reason why it doesnt matter if the fish is 5 milimeters or 5 inches, it comes with its own set of risks and rational to its tank requirements. Also without the propper space an issue known as stunting occurs.

In a 10 gallon tank, a cichlid no matter the species, cannot claim a propper territory and unless you bought an already mated pair (which wasnt stated and the behavior sounds like you dont have one). Cichlid meaning toothy fish means they have a bite and when one claims a propper territory in 3-4 weeks and starts defending it, there is not an addequite swimming space that puts your schools out of harms way let alone the other of its kind that again isnt 100% going to be its predetermined mate.

If they do pair, then the other fish in this small tank with be at risk as cichilids defend their brood with a passion... so that is another issue you have to face long term.

On the schools, propper stocking methods aside, the footprint of a 10gallon tank doesnt allow for propper schooling to take place. Especially with the multiple species in the tank. If they were live bearers such as a guppy I would have a much different opinion as far as that fishes personal space go.

Please take the advice here and really think, is it because we say everything is underfiltered and overstocked? Or is it that the people with 40+ or 20+ or in my case 27 years of experience have been there, done that and through science and previous experience know better?

Also... not to be catty here... but you chose to name yourself Fishn00b and are criticizing advice that people with much more experience are giving you... That you asked for... meaning you didnt know... I think the insults are misplaced and a result of being defensive yourself. Mommy wasnt sarcastic in her reply, she was honest. The tank is improperly stocked and is being tended by someone who doesnt know what fish they are putting in the tank. Its a correctable issue, but only if you want to own up and really work on it.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I find it humorous when people come on here (or just in general) and ask for advice and get offended when they don't like the answer they get. If you're already so convinced you're right, then why ask in the first place?

55g African Cichlid tank -
    29g Community tank -

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by phatchuck
    I find it humorous when people come on here (or just in general) and ask for advice and get offended when they don't like the answer they get. If you're already so convinced you're right, then why ask in the first place?

I wasn't offended at the response, I was more annoyed with the dismissive tone that it was delivered.

That being said, I've just come to the conclusion it's time to get a bigger tank. So I bought a 36g bow front today. I assume this will be more than enough space for them to claim there territory and such.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz
    First things first, Cichlids are a large group of fish (as I am sure you know). Its hard to pinpoint advice knowing its just a dwarf cichlid

This is what the male looks like, maybe you can identify what kind he is?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    A 36g should be enough room for two dwarf cichlids and two schools of tetra. Nice buy. You will still need to watch the cichlids for aggression, just because it should be enough room doesn't mean the fish will agree. Sometimes one will want more room than usual, or just take a disliking to the other fish. That is a german blue ram.
    Last edited by mommy1; 01-15-2013 at 02:40 AM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    That fish is a German ram, mikrogeophagus ramirezi.just a heads up that it prefers higher temperatures than most tropical fish(26-30 degrees)

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed, the fish is a German Blue Ram. They are fish I would call tempermental. They are very picky on water chemestry. They need to be in a tank with temp 78-82 deg F. The new bowfront will be great for them but I would highly suggest plants and wood in the tank.

Do you know if they are wilds or tank bred?

Also please take the filter from the current tank and seed your media in the new tank. It should not require a major cycle if you do this and will be the safest thing for all involved. Keep the 10gal handy though just in case the pair have some lovers quarels.

Here is the fish profile http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cich...manblueram.php
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's