· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New addition questions

0 Not allowed!
    So I added 2 dwarf cichlids (not sure exactly what type, they are striped with blue-ish tint) to my 10g planted. 1 male 1 female, and while the male seems well acclimated and sort of just does his own thing, the female spends most of her time kind of hiding behind a plant or in the top corner behind the filter. I have yet to see her actually eat, other then pecking at random stuff in the tank. The guy who sold me them said it was normal for her to be more reclusive but i didn't quite expect this much, is this normal type of behavior? Other tank mates are just 7 various tetras.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    It is normal behavior when you put fish in a tank that is too small for them and probably over crowded.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    It is normal behavior when you put fish in a tank that is too small for them and probably over crowded.
    The individual who sold me them at a LFS assured me this would be enough space, and he wasn't "just trying to sell me something" I asked him for recommendations for a heavily planted 10g and told him my current stock. The tank is not over crowded, there are less than 10 inches of total fish and its heavily planted with an air pump. But thanks for your constructive commentary, I see that tank snobs are still in abundance on this forum.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    And I see the fish tards are still in abundance too. The one inch per gallon rule does not work, if you or your lfs friend did any sort of research you would know this. 7 various tetra is poorly stocked, tetra are schooling species and need at least 7 of one type to be healthy. The only dwarf cichlid I can think of that would possibly live well in a 10g is a multifaciatus, and since you didn't say it was a shellie I seriously doubt that is what you have. Now to be a little more informative for you, your tank is poorly stocked, over stocked with the cichlids, and he is probably bullying her for space.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The 7 minimum rule is excessive from everything I have read, as long as you have 3-5 they will be ok. My 3 rainbow tetras have been perfectly happy for over 6 months. The 3 rummy nose are just fine too. I only have 1 glow light left because hurricane sandy caused my tank to go ~50 degrees and I lost the others. If you genuinely feel that 2 dwarfs in this tank is not good then just say it but the sarcasm isn't appreciated. I could go get a 29 gal but i fear that if I move it will be difficult to transport, that's the only reason I don't have a bigger tank.

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn00b
    I see that tank snobs are still in abundance on this forum.
    I am curious, In what branch of mathematics does one of anything [IE: Reply or member] equal 'an abundance'?

The guy who sold me them said it was normal for her to be more reclusive
    The individual who sold me them at a LFS assured me this would be enough space,
    Considering the above and this:
    i didn't quite expect this much, is this normal type of behavior?
    What did he say when you asked him? Seems the obvious place to start since he is the person who assured you that all of this is fine.

I mean if you are going to use his assurance as justification for your purchase it stands to reason that he would be the best person to go to for a solution to this unexpected behaviour right?

If it were me I would absolutely not needlessly suffer anymore snobbery when you have a perfectly adequate source of obviously good advice available locally to you.

The route you choose is up to you, Good luck
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I did just say the tank wasn't appropriate and you got defensive and started name calling, defensiveness and name calling is not appreciated either. I am glad your tetras have lived for 6 months, mine lived for over 12 years, let me know how yours are doing in 5-10 years and then I will listen to your advice about small schools. I don't care what a few people say, there are many more who have had tetra in 2's and 3's who later upped the schools to larger numbers and were amazed at the difference in their behavior, attitude, and general health. You can listen to the few who tell you what you want to hear, or those of us who know better. Your choice.
    Last edited by mommy1; 01-13-2013 at 02:46 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    If it were me I would absolutely not needlessly suffer anymore snobbery when you have a perfectly adequate source of obviously good advice available locally to you
    You're right, the answer to every question on this forum is "your tank's too small" or "you should do more water changes."

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    You're going to attempt and deny the sarcastic tone of this? Give me a break. Like I said, I welcome constructive criticism but I don't need to be patronized. I can upgrade tank sizes if necessary, but didn't think it was based on the other information I had been given.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn00b
    You're right, the answer to every question on this forum is "your tank's too small" or "you should do more water changes."
    This is because most people stock fish that grow too large for their tanks and don't do enough water changes.