· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bristle Nose, Thin spikes vs forked spikes?

0 Not allowed!
    So I've had these two BN's for this last year. They appear to be in the 4" range and have developed nicely. Both have great personalities and from the beginning I've enjoyed them growing.

Well come time to sex, it was apparent at that time judging by their faces I have one of each. Well, I'm not really completely sold on that anymore. (for all intents of purpose will call them male and female until told differently)

Their faces are still very different, but the one I called the female has developed spikes on her face as well. And these spikes are actually longer than the male's. They go all the way up to the eyes and follow the lip line. Long-curvy-thin spikes. However the male has developed thicker, shorter, and forked spikes going all the way to the eyes and along the lip line (ones on the lip line appear reg. spikes).

Behavior wise, I have this nice burly piece of driftwood that forms an Arc on the bottom of the tank, with a floor as well. I've often noticed the pair hanging about this and ripping their share of wood for their diet... no biggie and good snacking. Well I've also noted them burrowing under the floor of this piece of wood as well.

This got me psyched!!! Was thinking here we go!!!
    Well, I see what I think is them going through the motions, but no wrigglers.
    I've noted very often though, other species like hanging out near the Burrow, appearing to be snacking. Well, if I have both sexes of BN and mating is going on, then the guilty snackers will be getting the boot really soon!!! Their specie is becoming jaded in my eyes for their already vicious appetite and massive breeding program. (No worries, I'm humane and their only being rehomed to my LFS soon--when I get up the time to do so)

Anyways, what do you all think? Do I Got a pair or 2 of a kind?
    Last edited by bignellm; 01-12-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    In my opinion we need pictures pictures pictures
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Given these skittish ones--it will be a chore to be sure

0 Not allowed!
    I'm really unhappy with these pics, but it's the best I could manage with what I had for a camera at this time. Like I said, their skittish ones today.

Possible Male?
    Possible Male.jpgShot from behind tank of Pos Male.jpg
    Possible Female?
    Possible Female.jpg
    Shot of the driftwood and cave
    Good shot of Cave.jpg
    The burrow is under the bottom woody part, in the dark black part of the pic.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    My understanding is that females have either no bristles or only short bristles around the sides of the mouth, not bristles going up the face, and certainly not long ones like both of yours are showing. So as far as my understanding goes, you have two males.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    My understanding is that females have either no bristles or only short bristles around the sides of the mouth, not bristles going up the face, and certainly not long ones like both of yours are showing. So as far as my understanding goes, you have two males.
    +1 Yep, Although it's really hard to see in the one pic due to the leaf.

Also they like to spawn in REALLY tight places so don't expect any cave to do the job. I have a pleco cave in my 90 and I think it is far too big because I have literally never seen them in it.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I can't make out the 2nd one at all, but I agree the first is a male

0 Not allowed!
    I see a male in top picture and photo right under it. Can't see the other two photos well enough to tell anything.
    Those big old bristles are a sure thing.

0 Not allowed!
    So the burrowing is just going through the motions and I have both variations of spike bristles. Oh well.
    And don't complain too much on the leaf, LOL, was taken with a phone from back of tank, without any sight reference. Was lucky to even get the BN Was funny to see a leaf was hiding the money shot. It is the back view of first male. Only two BN's in the tank, multiple shots.

I'll wait it out to see if any newbies show up, (just in case I have a masculine female) and if none ever show up in next half year, I'll see if the LFS has any more feminine looking BN's up for sale.

And on a side note, very annoyed by the amount of green spot I saw in the pics... time for a new scrapper :(
    Last edited by bignellm; 01-12-2013 at 11:30 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Almost impossible to make out from these pictures but have you considered it might be males of two different species? The common name "bristlenose" is used to denote anything from the ancistrus genus. There's more than 140 different species in there.

Anyway, you could provide a cave or two. Various pottery artists make breeding caves but even half a stone flowerpot sometimes works. As said it needs to be snug