· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Threaded View

Default Bristle Nose, Thin spikes vs forked spikes?

0 Not allowed!
    So I've had these two BN's for this last year. They appear to be in the 4" range and have developed nicely. Both have great personalities and from the beginning I've enjoyed them growing.

Well come time to sex, it was apparent at that time judging by their faces I have one of each. Well, I'm not really completely sold on that anymore. (for all intents of purpose will call them male and female until told differently)

Their faces are still very different, but the one I called the female has developed spikes on her face as well. And these spikes are actually longer than the male's. They go all the way up to the eyes and follow the lip line. Long-curvy-thin spikes. However the male has developed thicker, shorter, and forked spikes going all the way to the eyes and along the lip line (ones on the lip line appear reg. spikes).

Behavior wise, I have this nice burly piece of driftwood that forms an Arc on the bottom of the tank, with a floor as well. I've often noticed the pair hanging about this and ripping their share of wood for their diet... no biggie and good snacking. Well I've also noted them burrowing under the floor of this piece of wood as well.

This got me psyched!!! Was thinking here we go!!!
    Well, I see what I think is them going through the motions, but no wrigglers.
    I've noted very often though, other species like hanging out near the Burrow, appearing to be snacking. Well, if I have both sexes of BN and mating is going on, then the guilty snackers will be getting the boot really soon!!! Their specie is becoming jaded in my eyes for their already vicious appetite and massive breeding program. (No worries, I'm humane and their only being rehomed to my LFS soon--when I get up the time to do so)

Anyways, what do you all think? Do I Got a pair or 2 of a kind?
    Last edited by bignellm; 01-12-2013 at 11:49 AM.