· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Question on how to craft something for tank lids

0 Not allowed!
    If anyone has seen the marineland 10gallon starter tank lid (the one with the LED lighting fixture), it has an opening where the filter box hangs for the biowheel and filter. With the filterbox in there is still space to the left, right and front of the filter box that things can escape.

I'm planning on investing in a nerite snail or two for both of my ten gallon tanks but i need to figure out a way to cover that opening so that they can't crawl out of it while i'm at work in the event that they don't have any algae available (this shouldn't be a problem but i have heard on the forum repeatedly that nerites like to do the escape thing)

I was thinking of maybe an old chinese plastic entree container, one of the round or rectangular ones, not the cardboard box. However the problem i have is the one i made would WORK, but it's still got a slight gap on one side because i measured wrong.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that are budget friendly and won't harm the snail or impede the filterbox function? I know the space is probably there for oxygen generation in the tank at the sides of the filter boxes.

Thanks in advance for help.

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not really picturing this, but can you cut a piece of sponge filter material and wedge it in there?

I have nerites in a couple of tanks and while I know that they can escape, mine never have. I have spaces around the filters and one tank has about an inch across the entire back. Maybe I've just been lucky.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah so you think i should keep an eye on them before trying to craft something?

And you may have enough food in there that they don't try to escape maybe?

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    My snails never crawl out of my tanks and I have them in 4 open top tanks. But you might want to just put some duct tape over the opening.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    would that interfere with the oxygen of the tank...i have some blue crafting tape which is easily removable would that work?

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    That will work perhaps for a while but might start to lift up. Cost nothing to try it. You do not need that hole for oxygen. the filter does that.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    My snails never crawl out of my tanks and I have them in 4 open top tanks. But you might want to just put some duct tape over the opening.
    + 1

While they have gone out for a cruise on occasion over the years I have no regular issue with escapees either and I have the in 4 or 5 [can't recall ] open top tanks also.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good to know i may invest in some duct tape for that reason then. It is after all the handyman's secret weapon...at least according to Red Green anyhow...

I didn't know that that hole was unnecessary til you clarified that for me Lady Hobbs. Thank you.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    Walmart sells some plastic mesh in the craft/sewing area of the store. You could easily cut it to size and tape that to the opening.

About the duct tape.... what if the snail gets stuck to the tape?:p

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks korinth, i was actually thinking about that when someone suggested that. I will use the tape to secure the mesh to the opening but will not be using he duct tape to cover the opening....

Thanks again.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice