· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    If I remember correctly, you just recently got these minnows. Sometimes, deaths just occur with new fish. Could have been weak stock, could have been stressed, could have been ill when you got them.
    Does your LFS have guarantee policy? maybe they'll replace them for you.
    Yup, weak stock. As long as there's enough surface agitation to keep the water oxygenated, white clouds would be fine at 75 degrees. We're talking about tank raised white clouds here and not about wild white clouds.

I would agree that an optimal water temperature for keeping white clouds is in the 68 - 72 degree F range, but a water temperature of 75 degrees did not kill these fish unless they were weak to begin with.

White clouds are one of my favorite aquarium fish. They are easy to keep and fun to watch.The males put on quite a show for the ladies.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My tank digital thermometer is up to 76.5 and hasn't budged and the glass mercury thermometer i put on the side of the tank reads 24C.

Will that still be okay? Also do you suggest i replace the stock or hold off til payday? I have five minnows left. The down side of this would be that if any more die it would be outside of the fourteen day warranty.

What do you suggest.

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shidohari
    My tank digital thermometer is up to 76.5 and hasn't budged and the glass mercury thermometer i put on the side of the tank reads 24C.

Will that still be okay? Also do you suggest i replace the stock or hold off til payday? I have five minnows left. The down side of this would be that if any more die it would be outside of the fourteen day warranty.

What do you suggest.
    Weak stock is weak stock. I'd take them back and exchange them for some cherry barbs or one of the hardier tetra. Take a good look at the replacement stock to make sure they look healthy.

It's so hard to tell these days if you're getting healthy stock or not. That's why a QT is so important.
    With a QT you can isolate and treat sick fish. But weak stock is weak stock.
    Last edited by Taurus; 01-12-2013 at 11:11 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thank you, i'll call jack's pets today and see what they can do for me.

i did have some thoughts in mind but would depend on what they could do for me. I will keep you guys advised.

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    A good LFS will work with you on stuff like this. It all depends on whether they want your repeat business or not.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've done alot of business with them and i do prefer them for their fish stock. I think they will work with me. I got rid of the first two that died because i thought it was natural causes. But the third one that died this morning i kept as proof.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    How does a new fish die of natural causes? Natural causes is old age, and fish from the store are not old.
    I've told you this before, I'll tell it to you now, and I will probably have to say it again later, you are fiddling with your tank too much. It's a newly set-up and cycled tank and needs time to mature before meddling won't hurt anything. You raise the temp, lower the temp, raise it again, move this, move that, put this fish in and take that one out, then rearrange whatever again. Let the tank be for a while!
    Don't take the heater out, set it for the temp the fish need and leave it alone.
    If there is food left over for you to net out, you are over feeding. Either give them less food at both daily feedings, or cut down to only one feeding daily. Honestly, I think you should both, cut down the amount and the frequency.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will cut back on the feedings...my tetras in the bedroom tank always seem like it's the end of the world when they go to feed.

as far as to why they died, i think it was a combination of weak stock as well as the fact that i couldn't keep the minnows as cold as they needed to be. That's why i said Natural causes.

I got a school of six candy cane tetras for the living room tank and no more changes will need to be made. I chose tetras because of how well the school is doing in the bedroom.

And thank you for giving me advice mommy1 and the rest of the members of this forum even if it requires you to attach it to a brick.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, here is another brick thrown your way. Often, new aquarists will attribute fish deaths to weak stock. Weak stock is not as common as people want to believe. There are a few species that have been so over bred or bred to deformity, such as the electric blue jack dempsey, that weak stock could be blamed. Usually however, "unexplained death" is usually because the new aquarist poorly stocks (in various ways), or puts fish in a tank with improper conditions (also in various ways), neither poorly stocked nor improper conditions (or weak stock for that matter) is natural causes. This is why I harp on people to research first!
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is the first time i've had this many fish die to reasons other than spikes which i had when i first started...

The weak stock reason was suggested by another forum member, and yes i know it is not common. However as it was my first time with that many deaths not attributed to chemical spikes, i was at a loss.

And yes it is always good to research first, you have no disagreement from me there, and i did do research on minnows. They stated they could survive the temps of my tank. Obviously i didn't do through enough research.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice