· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Two gold white minnows died

0 Not allowed!
    Two of the eight gold white minnows died of natural causes with no signs of sickness.

I think part of the problem is i don't have enough plants in the tank they are in, though the baracoa carolina is starting to grow out.

I just tested water params after i found the second one dead this evening...

AMMO ZERO
    NITRITES ZERO
    NITRATES 5.0

Temperture 75.9F though i'm trying to back it off a little bit again. the minnow tank has the heater where i don't know what temp setting i'm moving it to because it isn't marked.

I have fed them twice daily starting with one little pinch each time to see how much they eat, and then skimming off the uneaten flakes with my net after i give them time and ensure everyone gets something to eat. However i gave them a fast day Wednesday with a 50% water change Thursday after their second feeding of the day.

Does anyone have any thoughts as this is the first time i've kept this type of fish...the only other thing in this tank is a mystery snail.

Please advise as i can't really purchase any more plants until payday on the 18th next friday.
    6 gal column- 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 bronze cory, and one nerite snail, planted.
    10 gal - 2 F celebus rainbows, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 mystery snail, planted
    10 gal #2 - 6 flame tetras, 1 ornate tetra, 1 nerite snail, and 1 emperor tetra planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat

0 Not allowed!
    death with no ill symptoms? sounds like heat to me. white cloud mountain minnows like cool water. they will do well down to 12 degrees but conversely don't like temps above 24C, and the temperature you said your tank was at is quite high.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    trying to lower the temp again. 24C translates to 75.2 F.

I was at 75.9-76.1F

I will see if this helps.
    6 gal column- 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 bronze cory, and one nerite snail, planted.
    10 gal - 2 F celebus rainbows, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 mystery snail, planted
    10 gal #2 - 6 flame tetras, 1 ornate tetra, 1 nerite snail, and 1 emperor tetra planted

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If they are good down to 12 degrees, why not just take the heater out of the equation?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i could try that, but if i got nerites for that tank would they die? I know if i got shrimp for the minnow tank they would be fine or should be, but what about nerites and the single blue mystery snail already in the tank

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I remember correctly, you just recently got these minnows. Sometimes, deaths just occur with new fish. Could have been weak stock, could have been stressed, could have been ill when you got them.
    Does your LFS have guarantee policy? maybe they'll replace them for you.

I wouldn't go without a heater. Just set it lower. then keep the temp as constant as possible as fluctuating temps aren't good for your fish either.

good luck
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i'm going to have to trade those minnows back in for six of another type of tetra that gets no bigger than 1.5 inches at maturity since i've had no problem with them yet in the bedroom tank or six rasbora het. My tank is officially unable to stay cold enough for those fish, as i found another one stuck next to the intake for the filter this morning in my living room tank.

I even had the heater off last night and i had turned the lights off for the true night cycle of my tank. This morning the temp read 76.5 degrees. when i went to bed it was 75.9 before i unplugged the heater.

I will have to call them when they open at nine today.
    Last edited by Shidohari; 01-12-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Good tetra's are either neons or cardinals; extremely colorful and active schoolers. Common to most lfs.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cermet correct me if i read the stuff wrong on the forum, but aren't cardinals and neons not advised for those with a ten gallon tank due to the amount of swimming space that they need?