· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: my lights?

Hybrid View

1. Default my lights?

0 Not allowed!
    morning fish people,
    i have 2 tanks, some of the bulbs are several years old, would like to upgrade/improve bulbs? the more i research/read the more confused i have become
    on my 55 i have, 2 GE plant & aquarium bulbs
    f40 wide spectrum in a shoplight
    fixture
    1 all glass aquarium bulb 32 watt
    h.g. in a 55 gal strip fixture.
    all 3 are 4 ft.
    d.i.y. hood coming soon.
    does this mean i have 2 watts per gal?
    on my 29 i have, 2 ECOLUX plant & aquarium bulbs
    f-20 20 watt wide wide spectrum
    in a shoplight style fixture
    1 lights of america F17 t8, 7800k
    supposed to be 75 watts according
    the package?
    in a d.i.y. hood. all 3 are 2 ft.
    does this mean i have 4 watts per gal?
    any suggestions as far as new bulbs go would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks, DOC.

Awards Showcase

hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 
    Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 
    lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    My understanding is that Watts per Gallon is a rather older method of figuring out how much light you need for your tank. It hails from the era of not having a wide variety of bulb and reflector types.

To calculate it you add the watts of your bulbs and divide by the gallons in your tank.

The best illustration of the differences that have happened is this line:
    Quote Originally Posted by dochollow
    1 lights of america F17 t8, 7800k
    supposed to be 75 watts according
    the package?
    Based on my reading what you have is a 17 watt bulb, that has the equivalent output of a 75 watt bulb.

What has happened in the intervening years is that we have improved our ability to get more light using less energy. You get more effective light out of less wattage. We have also learned about distance from source to substrate matters, as well as nutrient availability matters.

So... one method that is fairly reliable is you can get a PAR meter. This measures the effective light getting from the light source to the placement of your plants. OR... you can wing it and guess and tweak until you get what works for you.

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Good info. Another tidbit on lighting is that you want to look at the color temperature of your bulbs. 6500k is the best for plants and best resembles the natural sun. 10000k is used for salt water but will be an algae magnet. No matter the fixture you choose to use, try to stay with 6500k bulbs. I find this more important than W/G.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dochollow
    morning fish people,
    i have 2 tanks, some of the bulbs are several years old,
    Ignoring the rest, new bulbs/lamps/tubes will dramatically alter the appearance of your tanks. They also may stimulate algae that has been idling along until the new lights go on.

Ideally, look for daylight lamps. Big box stores daylight bulbs will be fine. Daylight lamps are available for the lengths you listed.
    Daylight is generally defined as 6500K. Most of us would call 5000K to 10000K daylight - with 5000K being a bit reddish and the 10000K being very white.

My favorite lamps are GE 9325s which are all but gone from the market.