· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You should really up your schools, no reason to keep adding different kinds of fish when the other schools are kinda small.
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

0 Not allowed!
    All schooling fish do better in the largest groups you can get. Their attention is focused on each other rather than other species in the tank. Black skirts do a lot of playing with one another....bumping, chasing and acting silly. I find them very hardy. Mine are in a 55 gallon with my angelfish and I would not put a nipper with my angelfish. It's in non-issue for me with these fish.

I think we become predisposed in our thinking sometimes in what we have read of others experiences with fish when each of us has a different situation. If someone writes a fish is nippy, we tend to get turned off a certain fish believing we will have the same issues.
    Saepae's, for instance, are always described as a nippy tetra but we need to consider first how large the school is. People that stock in larger schools don't seem to have that problem. Same with Tiger Barbs. Toss 4 in a tank and there will be nipping but toss 20 in a tank and the problem will resolve itself.

Often, the problems we have with our fish is not the fish but it's the manner in which we stock them. You may move the B.S. to another tank and still have the same problem if they are not in a large enough group.

Fish will sometimes nip at another fish in the tank if they find that fish threatening to their group or simply do not want that fish in their "space". This is especially true in smaller tanks that offer less hiding area's. Schools are hundreds and hundreds of fish so when picking out a school of a fish, get the most that you can accommodate. A school for me is never less than a dozen.

My experience with a black skirt eating a neon was rare and only that one time in the 9 years of keeping the Black Skirts I saw that so I don't want you to now think they normally eat neon tetra's. I would actually expect it from the gourami more than the black skirt.

It's not that a fish is mean that it eats small fish. To a larger fish, it's just a source of food.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 01-12-2013 at 02:10 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I prefer to keep a single neon tetra in my 90g as the centerpiece.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262
    I prefer to keep a single neon tetra in my 90g as the centerpiece.
    I would love to see pictures of this.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by icefreeze57
    You should really up your schools, no reason to keep adding different kinds of fish when the other schools are kinda small.
    Well I now have 5 Pentazona Barbs, 10 Neons, and 4 White Cloud Minnows (which I will soon make up to 6). The black skirts are gone

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Next you should do is try to get the Barbs to 10-12. Then the Neons up (because they are really small and scared, the more the merrier) and then the minnows to 10 if you could lol (but get them to 6 before doing the other stuff).

What else is in the tank? the Pearl and what else?
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by icefreeze57
    Next you should do is try to get the Barbs to 10-12. Then the Neons up (because they are really small and scared, the more the merrier) and then the minnows to 10 if you could lol (but get them to 6 before doing the other stuff).

What else is in the tank? the Pearl and what else?
    In total I have the Pearl Gourami, 5 Pentazona Barbs, 4 White Clouds, 10 Neon Tetras, and 7 Amano Shrimp (I think I have 7, most of the time it looks like I dont have any!)

Well I was planning on adding a male Bolivian Ram and perhaps 2 or 3 male guppies (not to mention 2 dwarf frogs) so I dont think adding any more to my schools would be a good idea

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish
    Well I was planning on adding a male Bolivian Ram and perhaps 2 or 3 male guppies (not to mention 2 dwarf frogs) so I dont think adding any more to my schools would be a good idea
    Your fish would be far better off if instead of adding additional species you increased your 'schools'. This would be the preferable route to go, Low numbers such as 4 or 5 don't even count as a school and will not result in the behaviour they exhibit in actual school.

Instead you will get hiding, shy, stressed fish - Especially in the presence of gourami and cichlids.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Your fish would be far better off if instead of adding additional species you increased your 'schools'. This would be the preferable route to go, Low numbers such as 4 or 5 don't even count as a school and will not result in the behaviour they exhibit in actual school.

Instead you will get hiding, shy, stressed fish - Especially in the presence of gourami and cichlids.
    On this topic -------- I have 3 zebra danios and 3 gold zebras. I also have 4 cherry barbs and 3 gold barbs. The danios tend to all swim together, the cherry barbs are usually all over the place and the gold barbs tend to stick together. My question is - does a school need to be the exact species to be optimal? Are my danios considered a school of 6 or should I beef up each type to promote maximum schooling benefit? Same question for the barbs....

55g African Cichlid tank -
    29g Community tank -

0 Not allowed!
    I don't keep any of those fish but I would consider the danios the same [Have kept those before & more is merrier always lol]. Someone else will have to answer about the barbs, They are both pretty mellow but I don't know that they will hang together.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.