· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Planning to add Neons, how many to get?

0 Not allowed!
    Ive decided I want to get a group of Neons, but I was just wondering how many to add? My tank cycled a few weeks ago so I dont want to add too many fish at once (I added a Pearl Gourami last Thursday and my levels are still good).

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What size tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Neons aren't too crazy about sharing a tank with larger fish. (Gourami) They tend to hide a lot when sharing that space. I think I would fill out your school of black skirts and adding perhaps some less timid fish, perhaps cherry barbs or rasbora.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by luke77
    What size tank?
    Its a Juwel Rio 125 but ive measured the glass and it does NOT hold 125L (according to aq advisor it holds 110L/29 Gallons).

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Neons aren't too crazy about sharing a tank with larger fish. (Gourami) They tend to hide a lot when sharing that space. I think I would fill out your school of black skirts and adding perhaps some less timid fish, perhaps cherry barbs or rasbora.
    I could understand neons not liking large aggressive fish but the Pearl is incredibly peaceful, in fact I came across this posted by someone who is a Pearl Gourami keeper:

Pearls are among the most accomodating fish I can think of for a community tank. They are very peaceful, almost shy, and I would have no concerns with placing large adult Pearls with smallish Neons. Some hobbyists will exercise caution with this set-up, but I have come to know Pearls very well as they are among my favourite fish in the hobby. I always have a pair at any given time in one of my tanks. I've never had adult Pearls bother the tetras in my community set-ups, so I can recommend Pearls with Neons with a high degree of confidence.
    But I guess that is just another guys opinion

I want something that is colourful, at first I wanted Cardinals but found they arent very hardy so decided on Neons instead. Ive also got to go for something my LFS actually has in stock and I saw yesterday they had a large group of Neons in.

At the moment my Black Skirts are doing good, they arent bothering any of my fish so I dont really want to add any more unless they start nipping or causing problems. Im worried adding more might upset the balance

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say put in 7 neon tetra then.

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish
    in fact I came across this posted by someone who is a Pearl Gourami keeper..
    I am 100% confident that the neons you get will not have read that post.. just saying.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by luke77
    I'd say put in 7 neon tetra then.
    My only concern is adding 7 fish at once, would my beneficial bacteria be able to handle it?

Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    I am 100% confident that the neons you get will not have read that post.. just saying.
    Why not keep that useless info to yourself next time?

Just saying.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I think you would be Ok. I added 11 bloodfin tetra at once and had no problems.

0 Not allowed!
    My only concern is adding 7 fish at once, would my beneficial bacteria be able to handle it?
    Neons have a very low bioload and black skirts do best in larger groups.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

Default That you are an authority on uselessness is noted :-P

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, Your BB is likely to do just fine and if not you will have a small spike while the colony adjusts to the new bioload level.
    Why not keep that useless info to yourself next time?
    :sigh: Ok, Obviously, I have to spell it out for you.

Posts about the docile behaviour of the Pearl are not relevant because as LH pointed out the neons are not going to appreciate sharing the space with a larger fish.

If I was too cryptic I apologize, Please let me know if I need to connect any more dots for you.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.