· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: API Quick Start

1. Default API Quick Start

0 Not allowed!
    I am not naive enough to believe that it really makes a new tank "instantly safe for new fish" as the label says, but how much does it actually help with the initial cycling process? Anyone have experience with this? I am starting yet another new tank and want to actually get it right from the beginning for once if possible.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    look into fishless cycle. that stuff is for fish in cycle, or to use if you forgot to chlorination water changes or like me forgot to turn the filters on.... basically its best used for after the cycle when you lost some of your bb. ill link you to lady hobbs fishless and fish cycle in a sec

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the links, where exactly does one acquire "pure ammonia"?

I have an established 10g whose inhabitants will be transferred into this new tank, according to the link it looks like if I add some stuff from the existing tank I can help the cycle go faster. I have 2 pieces of driftwood and many many plants, would bringing any of this stuff into the new tank help out or is it only the Mulm that does any good?

0 Not allowed!
    Never used quick start.

RE: Pure amonia - Ace Hardware carries it:

As mentioned, Fishless cycling is the fastest way to go unless you have spare cycled biomedia around with which to seed a new tank.
    EDIT: Which I see you do.

You can transfer the biomedia from the 10g filter into the new tanks filter and [Provided it was adequate for the 10 in the first place] it will carry the exact same load as it did in the 10 [That being the identical stock you are transferring over]. The plants, DW and decor will bring a minimal bit of BB but it is not an amount that is going to make or break you.

After this new additions will have to be made slowly as your BB colony grows to accomodate to each new addition to your stock.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 01-15-2013 at 03:18 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    if you are taking down the 10g to transfer the fish then transfer the filter with them. then add a 2nd filter (i would recommend aquaclear sized for the tank). if you do that and transfer the fish you wont have a instant cycle, but you will have a great start and minimal ammonia spike with minimal work. also adding that "instant cycle" stuff would help a bit but its unnecessary. if you are going just transfer like that then just keep your eye on ammonia spikes and be ready to do a prompt to w/c
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex
    if you are taking down the 10g to transfer the fish then transfer the filter with them. then add a 2nd filter (i would recommend aquaclear sized for the tank). if you do that and transfer the fish you wont have a instant cycle, but you will have a great start and minimal ammonia spike with minimal work. also adding that "instant cycle" stuff would help a bit but its unnecessary. if you are going just transfer like that then just keep your eye on ammonia spikes and be ready to do a prompt to w/c
    The problem is the 10g has a filter much too small for the 36g, which came with its own appropriately sized filter. The filter media isnt interchangable either. They are both Aqueon quiet flow but one is a 10, and the other a 50. (small vs. large) Maybe I am confused about what "filter media" really is? Maybe it doesnt have to fit and i just need to shove it in there so the bb transfers?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    im talking about putting the 10g filter on WITH the 36g filter. and run both of them. TBH you should run 2 filters per tank rated at or above the volume of the tank. heres an example. on my 29g im running both an aquaclear 30 AND a 50. i never liked those filter carts with carbon in them. if i was you i would look into modding the carts to have biomedia in them or if you have the budget just get an aquaclear lol.... sorry im a bit biast too them.... but they are great lol....
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    If you don't want to do surgery on your 10 cartridge then yes, Run both [filters] on the new tank. One note about the filter that came with the new tank [I am assuming this is a kit of some sort.] The filters that come with these kits tend to be about half of what is required for them. If it indicates what brand/model it is please post it.

I will +1 an Aquaclear filter also if you intend to use HOB filters. An AC70 would be perfect IMO/IME [I love them for my 29s].

What is it you are unclear about wrt filtration? Ask away - That's what we are here for.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quick Start is not as good as Seachem Stability or Tetra Safe Start. If cycling with ammonia, do not use bacteria boosters.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.marineandreef.com/v/vspfi...RES06117-2.jpg

This is the exact filter I'm using. I'm going to stick with this at least for a little while to remain within budget, so perhaps it can be modified somehow? I don't want to mess with it too much because this same style worked great in my 10g for the past couple years. If I run the existing 10g as well though, I won't have anything to filter the 10g while the fish remain in there...

I mean it says it's good for up to 50g...right?

Also, before I started this thread I had already added the quick start stuff to the tank, plan on buying ammonia today...Do I have to drain and refill the tank because I see Lady Hobbs says I shouldn't have added anything else besides water and ammonia. I really hope not. Finally, I do have substrate in there already which is flora max, don't know if that would have any affect on this process.