no nitrite has shown up
    the ammonia spike came quick
    around the 2nd day
    ammonia is at 2-3 ppm
    the media i have in the filter is bio media and sponge
    do i need chemical media
    how long till nitrite spike

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Each tank is different so it's difficult to say when the nitrite should show up. Usually they do by now, but sometimes it takes a while. Seems to me like you are messing around with the filter a bit too much and I would take the advice you got in this thread.. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=109329 instead of making several different threads about the same issue.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Be patient, don't change any water, keep the temp around 78-82.
    You have the correct media now which will help massively.
    Read the sticky on fish-less cycle.

You could of asked this again at the end of your previous thread !
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    Each tank is different so it's difficult to say when the nitrite should show up. Usually they do by now, but sometimes it takes a while. Seems to me like you are messing around with the filter a bit too much and I would take the advice you got in this thread.. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=109329 instead of making several different threads about the same issue.

Leave it be now and let nature take it course

Quote Originally Posted by scotchbonneteater
    Be patient, don't change any water, keep the temp around 78-82.
    You have the correct media now which will help massively.
    Read the sticky on fish-less cycle.

You could of asked this again at the end of your previous thread !

Please do not start multiple threads about the same cycle in the same tank. We can help you a lot better if you can keep all the questions about this same topic all in one thread and avoid double threads and double posts.
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-11-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    sorry to bug you guys
    thanks

0 Not allowed!
    ok i am really becoming inpatient now
    for a month i tried to cycle but was using the wrong media
    now 2 weeks and still no nitrite after putting the proper media in
    no nitrite
    why is this happening
    i dont have a heater in there right now
    i was gonna put one in there after it cycled
    the temp is at 19 degress
    that means it still can cycle right
    and i am gonna put tetra safe start in asap
    now what??

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vafa
    i dont have a heater in there right now
    i was gonna put one in there after it cycled
    the temp is at 19 degress
    Well there's your problem. At that temperature, the bacteria are only growing at about half-speed. Get the temp up to at least 26C.

0 Not allowed!
    The time you spent doing it wrong doesn't count & your temp is way to low as mentioned by Funkman.

Also, I would not be dosing nearly that high considering the undoubtedly small amount of bio media you have to accommodate your BB. I would go with 1 or .75 even, You are going to be stocking shrimp right?
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 01-14-2013 at 01:24 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with 850R - an ammonia reading of 2-3ppm is more for 10-30 gal, not 1.5 - the amount of ammonia you put in corresponds with the amount of bacteria you need to grow in the filter...and shrimp don't produce much bioload at all, therefore, they don't need that much bacteria to handle them- plus, agree with funkman that a heater would benefit the cycling.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I kept putting ammonia until .50
    Then it spiked to 2
    So it just happened
    And I will get a heater asap