· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Question First Sump - Need Help

0 Not allowed!
    I have started to build my first sump. See attached image of the plans.

Main tank is 65 gallons with a drilled overflow and return. Sump is a 20 gallon long.

So far, I have only siliconed the baffles into the sump. But, I have all the other plumbing and stuff ready to go.

Questions:

1) Is putting a ball valve on the tube overflowing into the sump smart/necessary? I want to add it in case I want to stop the flow in an emergency.

2) Is the check valve on the return tube smart/necessary? I want to make sure that water can only flow one direction on that line, obviously.

I will have more questions (and photographs) later - but for now, let's start with those.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    If you leave enough room in the sump for all of the drain back you will get when the return pump is off, you do not need any valves at all. That is the best approach as all check valves can fail over time. Ball-check valve might be a better option, but it is not required in all cases

The below links should help

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...e-sump-basics/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...umbing-basics/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tips, Cliff. I actually stumbled across your plumbing write-up while doing some googling and found it very informative. I will have to spend some time with the other article you wrote, but at first glance it looks AWESOME .

I planned the baffles in my sump so that the water level will be a good 3 inches below the rim of the tank, but it is only a guesstimate as to the maximum operating water level of the sump, which is why I felt the need to have the extra insurance of the valves in case of something going wrong. They can't hurt anything right? Would the check valve on the return line significantly decrease the flow rate? It isn't very big.

My new question is in regards to my water pump, a Rio 2500.

The water pump I have came with an attachment/accessory ball valve (see attached picture, front middle accessory). I want to use it so that I can regulate the flow of the pump. It will work nicely because it fits the flexible tubing I bought for the return line perfectly. How would you recommend connecting the pump, the ball valve, and the tube? I have some extra silicone, but that seems too permanent. Zip ties? Can I use the common metal clamps used on flexible plastic tubing safely - or is there a risk of rusting under the water?

0 Not allowed!
    I hate using ball valve on pumps that restrict the flow from the pump. The extra pressure on the pump will wear out the pump faster than normal use. Instead, use a bypass line.

That involves having two return lines coming off of the pump which are both the same size as the manufacture recommends for a single line. One of the lines goes back into your main tank without a valve. The second line (bypass line) has a ball valve on it and goes back into the return pump compartment of the sump. By using the ball valve on this bypass line you can take away some of the flow going back into your main tank without putting any extra pressure on your return pump.

The problem with using check valves is that you are trusting a spring inside the valve to work when you need it. As this spring is always coiled back into it's compressed position, you are at a high risk of it failing to work correctly when you need it. I will always try to talk you out of using one. If it where my set-up, and my sump could not hold the drain back water, I would use a ball check valve. Almost no risk if failure if you install them in a up-right position. They can reduce your flow by 50 to 100 gph tho.

Without knowing more about your tubing that you got, I can not offer much in the way of helpful advice. Could you post a pic of what you have so can see exactly what it is that you are talking about ???
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-10-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff nailed it. I wouldn't want any restriction on my pump.
    Thar she blows!!!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got it. Thanks for the tips on valves, guys.

Attached is a picture of what the tubing I got looks like.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How would you connect these parts?

I have a Marineland Corner-Flo aquarium with an internal pre-drilled gravity overflow.

See attached image. Do I put PVC "glue" cement on the bulkheads? I plan on putting stainless steel clamps on the end of each hose on the underside connections.

The PVC connections to the bulkheads are not threaded.

Is there anything else I should be worried about?
    Last edited by raulfd4; 01-13-2013 at 04:12 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    You can replace the bulkheads with ones that are thread on the inside as well. The you can use a threaded adapt on the ends of your pipe to connect to the bulk head flange and a threaded hose barb on the other end to connect the hoses.

That might be the easiest option to consider

9. Smile Success!

0 Not allowed!
    I wanted to thank everyone that helped me along the way with this sump.

I just finished adding water and everything checks out! No leaking anywhere and everything is working as it should. I even unplugged the pump to make sure it passes the power-failure test.

Right now the ziptie holding the return line on the pump is temporary until the official plastic hose clamps come in the mail.

More pics and details to come as soon as I throw in the substrate, driftwood, and plants. I will probably start a tank journal soon.

I guess my only complaint is that for optimum water levels in the sump, the display tank is like a 1/2 inch below the black rim at the top. I'm a little OCD about full tanks, but I guess I can live with it.
    Last edited by raulfd4; 01-14-2013 at 03:54 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I love the look of a new clean sump, goo job with it. I'm looking forward to seeing the tank journal.

If you used a duriso stand pipe in your overflow, you can increase the height of the pipe by 1/2 inch to increase the water level in the tank by 1/2 inch as well. I can be a little OCD about those details as well