· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default HELP on my new testing equipment!!!!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello I just bought two pool HTH testing kits . When I open the box it look like it had everything but the key to see you what my hardness is in my water, and basically any other key to see what my parameters are. The first tets it for chlorine bormin pH total alkalinity, total hardness, and cyanuric acid. The othe one was the same it was a buy one get one free ging outa bussines sale. Is there any key out there for this. the only thing I can check is the pH balance the chlorine and the bromine and I'm having some confusion with the other 1 can someone explain to me this test and where I can get some more information on it
    Last edited by Deanofreshysalty; 01-09-2013 at 03:41 AM.
    150 gal. (1 black fin Pacu) Modified API Nexx modular filterX3+ a 1 litter bottle Moving Bed filter w/straws + DIY UFAS+ modified PowerHead to an aerated bacteria filter.
    90 gal. (2 black fin Pacu) (1 red fin Pacu)Modified API modular nexx filterX3 + modified PwerHead to a biological aerated filter + 500gph aerated powerhead.
    26 gal. Planted (6mollies) (12platty wags) (1 Bristol nose placo) (4cory cats) (1clown loach) (betta)
    20gal sump project for the 150 or 90

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No need for the help, but has any one used anthing like this have any info on it ny number are ph7.8 hardnes40pp. Alk.60pp clorine/borine 0 amo. 3.0 with cheap strips
    150 gal. (1 black fin Pacu) Modified API Nexx modular filterX3+ a 1 litter bottle Moving Bed filter w/straws + DIY UFAS+ modified PowerHead to an aerated bacteria filter.
    90 gal. (2 black fin Pacu) (1 red fin Pacu)Modified API modular nexx filterX3 + modified PwerHead to a biological aerated filter + 500gph aerated powerhead.
    26 gal. Planted (6mollies) (12platty wags) (1 Bristol nose placo) (4cory cats) (1clown loach) (betta)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanofreshysalty
    Hello I just bought two pool HTH testing kits . When I open the box it look like it had everything but the key to see you what my hardness is in my water, and basically any other key to see what my parameters are. The first tets it for chlorine bormin pH total alkalinity, total hardness, and cyanuric acid. The othe one was the same it was a buy one get one free ging outa bussines sale. Is there any key out there for this. the only thing I can check is the pH balance the chlorine and the bromine and I'm having some confusion with the other 1 can someone explain to me this test and where I can get some more information on it
    I'm curious as to why you are testing your: chlorine, bormin, and cyanuric acid levels in your water ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Moslty testing the tap water to see if theres clorine, teed use a decloranizor. An i have 0! Clo./Bor. Im doin it again to day an if im right im doin to heavy WC to day on these tanks. The number i got yesterday in my main tank were these..... Har.60 Alk.40 ph.7.8 clo/bor.0 cyan.0
    each kit came with 500 uses. Im im going to do it in a beter an more sanitary spot an better knowledge now i was messing with is last night. Is it useless an a dumb buy?

0 Not allowed!
    Use a good dechlorinator, like prime, and you won't have to worry about testing your tank water for chlorine or anything else other than ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Unless you know the amount of chlorine the pool kit can detect (most likely it tests in the ppm) AND know the safe level of chlorine fish can live in (very low - most likely in parts per billion) I really do not think that kit is useful.

If you have well water that comes from your own, private well, then of course you have zero chlorine products in it; if you get it from a company (via city or a common group) it WILL have some type of chlorine based treatment.

Testing is not just a waste of your time, it is useles without knowing the limits of the kit and level fish can live in ... .

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I understand I can get the decloranizor at stores but I'm trying to save money in to see if my water is good enough so I can just put it in there and use only a little bit of prime at a time when I do my water changes. I'm starting to consume a lot of fish tanks on low budget and I want to know everything about my water, and I live in some what is the rule City in the desert in the middle of Arizona in the water is very very hard, so I wanted to make sure I got everything range on that water and I saw the test and I saw the price and I snag em. The chart for the clor.bor. ranged from 5.0 tp .5. And the more the water is yellow when you tested the more chlorine you having it them the water is clear with your mind is it should be below .5 or 1.0 . And even the line that has the .5 and 5.0 has someone at the yellowish tint to it and when I tested my tap water it was completely clear there were no signs of any sort of yellow in the water whatsoever. I'm going to test it again today I tested it 2 * yesterday so I couldn't believe it, an its messued in ppm. But I really hope you guys see where I'm going with this I'm trying not to use that delclo. as much as i need budget budget budget with an expensive expensive expensive hobby my life......

0 Not allowed!
    OMG - it would REALLY help if you used punctuation in your posts : ( - you should know that when it comes to dechlorinators, Prime is great economically speaking - you need much less of it than other brands.

If I understand you correctly, you have acquired a lot of tanks so you want to keep your maintance costs low? Using as little dechlor as possible?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    If money is tight, then I would suggest you stopping buying test kits for things like chlorine and such

Buy yourself a good dechlorinater and a good quality liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and Ph. Those are really some of the basic requirements of the hobby. There really isn't any way around that.

I must admit, I did not read all of your last post as this is the second time you wrote a long post without punctuation.

You could get a lot more opinions and suggestions from other members here with the properly formatted paragraphs and punctuation.

Exclamation Testing is no place to attempt to stretch the budget.

0 Not allowed!
    This is worth repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    If money is tight, then I would suggest you stopping buying test kits for things like chlorine and such

Buy yourself a good dechlorinater and a good quality liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and Ph. Those are really some of the basic requirements of the hobby. There really isn't any way around that.

I must admit, I did not read all of your last post as this is the second time you wrote a long post without punctuation.

You could get a lot more opinions and suggestions from other members here with the properly formatted paragraphs and punctuation.
    + ∞ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.