· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Good Canister Filter media??

0 Not allowed!
    Okay so i'm going to be setting up a new 20 gallon tank soon and I'm going to be using an old eheim 2013 canister filter. I used to use it for my turtle when she was in my 55 gallon but now that I've given her away I can use this filter instead of buying a new one. My question is, is there any specific type of media I have to use for the filter? I use a few layers of filter stones (like these but mine are hexagonal instead of cylindrical) http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=15433 along with a few layers of pillow stuffing and a few layers of carbon inside of little filter bags.

Is this a good media set up? Or should I change something?

Crap I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry guys!! If this could be more to general aquarium forum that'd be great. Sorry once again, I wasn't paying attention to what section I was posting in.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 01-08-2013 at 09:18 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Don't bother with carbon - it's not necessary unless you are trying to remove a bad odor or meds from a tank - I would get more bio media and the pillow stuffing is a great idea - many of us use that for additional mechanical filtration and it can be replaced when you clean the filter.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    That's the thing though, what do you mean by bio-media??

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    A canister should have mostly bio-noodles made of ceramic. These rae the best bio-host for the bacteria. Fiber fill is good for helping tp trap larger pieces of dirt.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Alright so those weird fabric like or sponge like pieces? I haven't ever set up filter media before.. Only ever use cartridges for my tetra whisper filters.. I think I have plenty of ceramic stones atm. I'll get some fabric like sheets to add. Will carbon hurt? Would it take out any of the nutrients I'll be adding for plants, such as Flourish? If not I think I'll add a layer of carbon, I really don't mind and I prefer carbon. It always shows a difference in water clarity.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Carbon is a total waste of critical space in any filter; ok, the site finally loaded - your ceramic 'stones' are ceramic tubes or noodles and these are ideal for filtering. Carbon can do harm if left too long and no one has ever determined what that length of time is so unless you are willing to change out the carbon every four weeks, I'd pass on it. If you can name me one thing that carbon (really activated charcoal) removes that occurs in the common aquarium, I'd love to know; to date, no one has so I'd be pleased to find out.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Idk but it makes me feel better about myself to add it. XD I won't this time if you really think it does nothing but I always noticed a difference in water clarity when I added carbon. I'll add like 3 layers of ceramic stones and a couple layers of the fabric. Okay thankyou.

Anyone have an idea of how long it'd take a 20 gallon to cycle by itself with this 60 gallon eheim filter? O.o I'm going to be cycling from scratch as I don't have any media to take from old filters, as all the old media is from tiny 10 gallons and I can't remove it without removing it all.