· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default AllenIsbell's Aquarium Experience.

0 Not allowed!
    Here's my attempt at making a blog.

Tank: 20 gallon extra-tall
    Environment: Freshwater/planted
    Filtration: Eheim Professional 2 2028 (Custom plumbing - see below)
    Lighting: A couple of 26-watt CFL bulbs for now. (Still looking for some 6000Ks)
    Substrate: Premium play sand.
    Heater: Rena Cal Top Light 100w

So, I got back into wanting an aquarium about 6 months ago. I was set on building a marine aquarium. I changed my mind about 2 months ago. I wanted to first be in the habit of maintaining a box of water before venturing off into a more difficult field. Practice, basically.

A friend hooked me up with a 20 gallon extra tall with lid/fixture and a stand.

First things I did:

I cleaned everything. The stand came with reversible panels--One side wood, the other black. The wood side was out. I like modern, so I swapped them around to black. The frames on the aquarium are plastic, and had a wood design on them. I flipped the aquarium upside down, masked off the front, sides, and bottom, and painted the rear black. I'm a fan of black backgrounds.

I let the paint dry for 3 days in the garage before taking off the tape. While drying, I went to Lowes and picked up some PVC, sand, rocks, and other supplies to make my plumbing.
    Rock: http://www.lowes.com/pd_224017-39243...7C1&facetInfo=

Sand: http://www.lowes.com/pd_10392-286-11...and&facetInfo=

Then I rinsed the sand because I hate cloudy water as much as the next aquarist.

(I made a new Youtube channel because I realized that I wanted to make videos specifically related to fishkeeping)

I really enjoy helping people, so I made a guide if anyone is interested in learning how to rinse sand:

Next, I busted the rocks up . PAIN IN THE BUTT. THEY ARE TOUGH.

Took it all into my office where I took measurements for the plumbing. Did all of the cutting/gluing outside.

After that was said and done, I ran the water hose through the window and filled it up. When the water level was at about 25%, I leveled the tank. My tile floors must not be even because it was off a good bit. Primed the filter, and got the water moving. Had to add water after filling up the filter, of course. Added Jungle Start-Right to the tank to get rid of chlorine and cloromine.

After a couple days of making sure that there were no leaks and getting the temperature up, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a Platy and Molly to start the cycle. I also bought a pack of "Hardy Aponogeton Bulbs" to start my plant adventure. I acclimated the fish by floating the bag for 30 minutes and pouring a little tank water into their bag every 5 minutes for an hour. I know some people are against cycling with fish--I'm not. Sorry if that's offensive to anyone. I also got an airstone at this time. The fish lived through it with no problems or signs of distress.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Had to split this up due to the 6 photo per post limit.........

After a week, I got an Apple Snail and a Red Flame Sword from Wal-Mart.

Made a timelapse video of the Apple Snail:

Waited another 2 weeks, and got some ghost shrimp and a male Gold-Dust Molly. (I can't get good pictures of the fish because they move too fast. I will post video updates of the tank instead.) Somehow the plant and airstone kept floating up, so I got some Eagle Claw eco friendly fishing weights and tied them on to the plant and airstone with fishing line (made of tin and aquarium safe based off of my online research).

A couple of days ago, I realized that my plant was growing pretty dang fast on a 10-hour-per-day light schedule. I propagated the Red Flame Sword to spread the greenery out a little. At this time, I was hoping I was doing it right. I just pulled them apart, tied and weighted the pieces together.

I have been doing 50% water changes weekly since I started this tank. Today I did a water change.

I just noticed that one of the Aponogeton bulbs have sprouted!

After noticing that, I spread the bulbs out so they don't use up each other's nutrients (if that's even an issue with them). These CFL bulbs are doing a great job of growing these plants. The new sprouts in the center of the original Red Flame seem to be growing at least 1/2" per day. Not sure about the longer ones. I do plan on getting some nutrients for the plants, though.

I will be doing a video introduction of my tank tomorrow when the water is settled down from this water change.

More updates to come as I make changes/discoveries.

Awards Showcase

Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like your off to a good start.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Looks really good so far.

What's the reason you have the intake pipe so short? I would think it would be more advantageous having it longer to draw water from the lower portion of the tank, thus increasing overall circulation?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, everyone.

The intake will be longer when I get some more 90 degree PVC elbows and make it how I want it.

I didn't get to do the video update last night. Maybe today. Busy schedule with a little one to look after.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Fish based cycling is fine if you don't mind large water changes day in and day out for weeks.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you think 50% once a week was fine? I don't mind doing it more frequently if I should.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenIsbell
    Do you think 50% once a week was fine? I don't mind doing it more frequently if I should.
    You just need to know what the ammonia level is and nitrite level. Ammonia needs to remain under 0.25 ppm and nitrite under 0.1 ppm.

For example: in a 20 gal, if the ammonia is reading 0.5 ppm, than a 50% water change (10 gal) will reduce it to 0.25 ppm (but by the next day it would be too high and the fish would have suffered all night.)

Rather, a 0.5 ppm would need at least a 15 gal change (75% so the reading is under 0.25 ppm (about 0.125 ppm but kits don't measure those values.)

Two 50% water changes done right away on that same tank would do the exact same reduction (0.5 ppm to 0.125 ppm) but the work would be doubled! So, larger changes (like 75%) are better for high readings than two 50% changes.

As for once a week, that depends - if one fish in a 20 gal, maybe. But most fish based cycling requires large water changes more often; again, it has to do with the ammonia levels and later, the nitrite levels.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice tank...your friends are happy

10 gal - 2 algae eating shrimp, 4 cherry shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 2 blueberry shrimp, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 2 pc driftwood and planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    You just need to know what the ammonia level is and nitrite level. Ammonia needs to remain under 0.25 ppm and nitrite under 0.1 ppm.

For example: in a 20 gal, if the ammonia is reading 0.5 ppm, than a 50% water change (10 gal) will reduce it to 0.25 ppm (but by the next day it would be too high and the fish would have suffered all night.)

Rather, a 0.5 ppm would need at least a 15 gal change (75% so the reading is under 0.25 ppm (about 0.125 ppm but kits don't measure those values.)

Two 50% water changes done right away on that same tank would do the exact same reduction (0.5 ppm to 0.125 ppm) but the work would be doubled! So, larger changes (like 75%) are better for high readings than two 50% changes.

As for once a week, that depends - if one fish in a 20 gal, maybe. But most fish based cycling requires large water changes more often; again, it has to do with the ammonia levels and later, the nitrite levels.
    Thanks for the tips. Makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shidohari
    Nice tank...your friends are happy
    Lol thanks