· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Red face Anyone moved a tank 1,000 miles Successfully?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm way jumping the gun, but hubby and I just bought a house in Kentucky that we will be moving to next year from Massachusetts (long story). I finally have my dream aquarium (60 gallon fw community) that's running great with gorgeous healthy fish. Is there any way I can drive it to Kentucky and set it back up or am I crazy for even considering it? I already have a spot in the new house where I want to put it.
    Fish are friends - not food!
    Just keep swimming - just keep swimming!

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    my suggestion; start seeding a sponge filter or two in your current tank. invest in a large rubbermaid tote to transport fish. add battery powered airpump to the sponge filters when travelling. you can do it with a bit of preparation. depending on time of year, you probably won't need a heater.
    Thar she blows!!!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    my suggestion; start seeding a sponge filter or two in your current tank. invest in a large rubbermaid tote to transport fish. add battery powered airpump to the sponge filters when travelling. you can do it with a bit of preparation. depending on time of year, you probably won't need a heater.
    100% true
    good info

0 Not allowed!
    I would pick of up sheets of Styrofoam at Home Depot to sit the tank on and tape to the sides of the tank to prevent banged up corners. I picked up a package of it and I think the sheets are perfectly sized for your size tank. I think the whole package was $5. It should be an easy move with no problem.

There are also portable air pumps that run on batteries. Your fish can go in totes with the battery pump attached to keep fish oxygenated. Those are cheap, too.

Awards Showcase

Wishing You the Very Best for the New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year - Celtic Fins Happy new year! - Brookfish happy new year! - The Red Severum All Sailors love coffee - jbeining75 
    Sailor - Brookfish cheers bud! - Crispy Happy Birthday bud! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat congrats on motm - Lab_Rat 
    Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the nomination - Cliff Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff No Message - cer Thanks for the rep - Cliff 
    thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra Happy Birthday - KingFisher thanks for the rep:) Zebra pleco for you! - Northerly Merry Christmas - Cliff Just a Thanks! - Plecos 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    I am having another train of thought. Why go through all the hassle. this would be a perfect opportunity to upgrade and get a bigger tank.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tips! :)

Sailor - I like the way you think. Unfortunately for my current tank, that's probably the way I'll be going. You see, I failed to mention that I will also be moving five cats, five dogs, two birds, two horses and a donkey. So I can't imagine the logistics for getting everyone taken care of and settled in as well as putting a 60 gallon aquarium back together all in one day - especially after driving for 14 hours.

I was just curious to know if anyone else had attempted it and been successful. Thanks again!
    Fish are friends - not food!
    Just keep swimming - just keep swimming!