· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cherry Shrimp

Default Cherry Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    A guy in a local group I'm in is selling cherry shrimp @ $0.75 ea

With my current stocking, and eventual stocking do you guys see any issues.

I know I'm pretty full, but I've heard the shrimp have next to no bio-load.

I am also aware that the babies would most likely be eaten (ok with me), and I don't know if apistos would bother with a full sized shrimp or not

Just seems like a good deal that I don't want to let slip by if i could make it work

0 Not allowed!
    Nope but I would make sure you have plants for the shrimp to hide in. They really like java moss. I first started with a dozen cherries. Within 6 months, I had sold over 300.

Sold no more since then but have them spread around in all my tanks just from moving plants here and there. They get sucked up in the vac, end up in the filters, get dumped down the drain and still I see them everywhere.

0 Not allowed!
    I have 1 java fern (small), 1 medium leafy plant (fake) and one large plant that my otos love to hang on and around.

I plan to make it a planted aquarium. And I figured the baby shrimp would be a free source of protein ;) -> wow I'm a horrible person lol.

0 Not allowed!
    I but 30 cherry shrimp in a 20 gal well planted tank with 11 blacks skirt tetras and a week later only 1 shrimp left.

It is hit or miss. I also but 20 cherry shrimps in my 4 gallon planted nano with my betta fish and now I have over 50 shrimp. You just never know until you try.

With the plants you have listed I do not believe they will survive. You need more plants or hiding places with enough areas for the shrimp to graze safely.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogi
    I but 30 cherry shrimp in a 20 gal well planted tank with 11 blacks skirt tetras and a week later only 1 shrimp left.

It is hit or miss. I also but 20 cherry shrimps in my 4 gallon planted nano with my betta fish and now I have over 50 shrimp. You just never know until you try.

With the plants you have listed I do not believe they will survive. You need more plants or hiding places with enough areas for the shrimp to graze safely.

My current tank set up... Lots of hiding places, but I have never been a fan of mosses (don't like the risk of getting in filters etc)

For 75 cents I kinda wanna try. But still waiting to hear back from the guy
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Looks great. I think that will work out. I wouldn't pass a deal like that either. I say go for it. If you don't like moss how about getting a couple of marimo balls. Your shrimp will love you for it.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    Hadn't thought about them actually, plus could just look like moss covered rocks to people that don't know them

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the Shrimp :)

Guy said he has some, plus he has some subwassertang (never had heard of it)

I'm gonna see how it looks in his tank, its that or moss balls, maybe both

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I too would add more dense type plants. That subwassertang is not like moss at all. I have some in my shrimp tank and they love to harvest it. I dont know what they get off it (algae probably), but they choose it over the java moss I have in the same tank. Subwassertang is dense with alot of small roundish growth. It stays down in the tank without any assistance. I only have 2 incandescent bulbs in that 10 gallon tank and there is no die-off.
    I think you'll like it.

Here is a link to an old thread on what I found out.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...=subwassertang
    Last edited by Strider199; 01-08-2013 at 10:40 PM.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    To answer your question, your Dwarf Apisto may eat them. One of mine ate my single RCS survivor, which grew to adulthood. The others were eaten by my Killifish. I had a heavily planted tank at the time, too. Be careful young padawan.

Worst case scenario? Your fish get a nice treat. Ok, maybe the worst case scenario is that your RCS are infected with camallanus worms, your fish get a nice treat, and then you need to treat your tank for camallanus worms.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.