· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Post My DIY 10G Sump Filtration Project

0 Not allowed!
    With GREAT anticipation I'm finally going to start working on my DIY 10G Sump Filtration project.
    Time now to collect necessary measurements on sump tank, cabinet, display tank, and area around tank/cabinet, etc.

Going to be using 3/4" schedule 40 PVC tubing (found 1" to big, 1/2" just to small). After watching gobs of videos from YouTube and alike, I'm going to go with two overflow sections. Though one would probably suffice I figured two would be leaning on the safe side. Plus the extra incentives of having two like extra water flow if I so desire and I can take one down for cleaning and won't need to completely halt filtration.

This will be a drawn out project, not because I'm lazy, but I don't have much time these days. Between work, parenting, honey do lists , every chance I get (even if only for 15 minutes) I will continually work on this project.

With time permitting I'll update this journal whenever I get the chance and I think I will post pictures to a photo sharing site and paste a link so all can view - if you want that is.

Any suggestions for photo sharing sites, preferably free please?
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    Photobucket is easy, free and easy to use. It gives you links that you can directly insert into your post

Looking forward to watching this go forward

0 Not allowed!
    You can also host your photos on this site. Upload the pics to the photo album in the left menu of this forum. Then copy/paste the link of the pic into the post.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @ jeffs99dime - definitely free.
    I have not used this before can the link point to the album as appose to a single image? That way I can post link in my signature and other users won't have to go through all the reply threads looking for links to individual pictures.

Also if I go this route do you need to be an AC member to view the photos if I send the link to family and friends?
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.

0 Not allowed!
    When you insert the image, the image will display as the image in the post. Does that make sense?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, so you will see the image as appose to a link. I'll play around with it and see if it works for me, otherwise I'll look for an offsite photo sharing service like Hardy85 mentioned.

I personally would like just to add link in my signature that will go to an album where all pictures are accessible for this project. I will label the pictures and mention in posts so others can easily identify and match with my journal notes. Thank you for your input Jeffs99dime.
    25 Gal - Tropical

0 Not allowed!
    You can always do the "Go Advanced" but when you reply in this post to add an attachment straight from your computer without uploading,

example
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Post Overflow Section

0 Not allowed!
    If I remember tonight I'll post a picture of my first overflow section I constructed and tested last night.
    I'm still up in the air with the pump I should purchase, so many out there it's hard to decide.
    I'm looking at a Pondmaster Pond-Mag 3 http://www.pondliner.com/product/pon...ndmaster_pumps. My father has used these and thinks highly of them.
    Does anyone have any experience with the Pondmaster pumps, the manufacture is Danner MFG. INC.?
    25 Gal - Tropical

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That Pond Master is a great pump for a freshwater sump. As for a saltwater app. I would be wary about the metal screws holding the intake/return ports to the pump case. Not sure the size of your display either but I would try to circulate the total volume at least 5x/hr. I use this pump combined w/ a Rio 3100 on a diy sump for a planted 92g giving me roughly 720 gph of flpw at nearly 5' head (720g flow divided by 92g vol.= a turnover rate of 7.83 times/hr.)... And reliable, too. Starts pumping as soon as I plug it in.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, thankfully its a freshwater tank so no worries about those screws. I could always slap on some aquarium silicone and cover those screws too. The display tank is a 25 gal, I'm shooting for 125+ GPH from pump with approx 4.9' of head. I've uploaded the overflow section picture I took last night, there's a link in my signature to go to the album. More to come.
    Last edited by ijankrom; 01-11-2013 at 05:31 AM.
    25 Gal - Tropical