· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Fluval heater broke--dangerous?

0 Not allowed!
    The Fluval heater in my 50-gallon tank broke right down the middle. Not sure when, I just woke up this morning to find it that way. Maybe one of the plecos hit it wrong.

I've removed all the parts and broken glass that I could find, but I'm concerned about the possibility of dangerous chemicals from inside the heater entering the tank. I saw some rust-colored water come out of the broken tube while I was removing it.

This tank just recovered from an ick outbreak last week, I don't want more fish problems if I can help it...any advice?

I'll replace the heater first thing today.

0 Not allowed!
    If you had rust inside the heater that would indicate to me that it was leaking [& potentially not operating properly] for some time.

Rust is not good [It's basically oxidized Iron], Do a pair of massive WCs [80 or 90%] and hope for the best. You didn't mention the tank size but I would run some carbon also, Couldn't hurt anything.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    The main thing to watch for, is glass in the gravel, not chemicals from the innards. I've never seen anything but inert materials in heaters and I've seen a LOT of them. Getting cut from a sliver of glass inside an aquarium is potentially serious.

If you should get cut or scratched - or have cuts or scratches when servicing your tank - pay more attention to the wound than you might otherwise.