· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Siamese Shark. (iridescent shark)

0 Not allowed!
    So I have been cycling my tank and just completed a cycle so went down to my LFS to buy some new fish. I ascked for some assistance and told the shop owner about my tank and he reccomended I get an Siamese shark (After saying I wanted something bigger).He said 4 should do just fine in my 310 Liter tank (Roughly 75 Gallons).So I bought 4 of these Siamese sharks and 2 Seprea Tetra as I already had 4 so they got more friends to Shoal with now. After putting all the fish in my tank I did some research and found that they were actually called iridescent shark and grow massive. Also heard that they will not grow massive in captivity but not to sure if that is true. Anyone know anything about this fish and how big it gets?

310L / 75G
    Also have 6 Serprea Tetra now.
    They are Grey and have a longish fin under there belly.
    Looks like they have 2 tentacles under there mouth kinda like the ones under catfish. They about 5cm now.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Grab a shovel and start digging a pond, thos iridescents comand a serious amount of space
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    Grab a shovel and start digging a pond, thos iridescents comand a serious amount of space
    Agreed, Here's a thread that may interest you.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That link was quite helpfull thank you. Not to sure how to identify what species
    I bought though as I see there is 6. Any ideas on how to tell wich one I have. I noticed the one I have has a small tint of green if that means anything.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Scholz
    That link was quite helpfull thank you. Not to sure how to identify what species
    I am not sure about in SA but the most common one BY FAR in the trade is Pangasius hypophthalmus.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh well worse case they just grow to big and I could just release them into a private dam or something like that. I just hope it does not come to that.

0 Not allowed!
    I assume you mean some else's pond?

In the future, it would help if you check out fish 1st before buying them - find what you like and then do research into how big they could potentially become so you will know if they will fit into your tank at FULL SIZE : )

Many people will take pics or write down the name on the tank so you can find it online (or post it here and someone will probably be able to identify it).
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Oh well worse case they just grow to big and I could just release them into a private dam or something like that. I just hope it does not come to that.
    No- Do not under any circumstances release aquarium fish into the wild EVER.

A. It is very likely to be illegal, It is where I live.

& B. [FAR more importantly] You risk exposing wild populations to pathogens that [The native fish have no natural defenses against] came from other stock within your tank and this has the potential to decimate wild populations.

It quite literally could cause an ecological disaster, Do not ever do this.

The only circumstances in which they will not grow to large for a 75g tank is if they are stunted, They are not appropriate fish to live their lives in a 75g tank.

9. Post

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    No- Do not under any circumstances release aquarium fish into the wild EVER.

A. It is very likely to be illegal, It is where I live.

& B. [FAR more importantly] You risk exposing wild populations to pathogens that [The native fish have no natural defenses against] came from other stock within your tank and this has the potential to decimate wild populations.

It quite literally could cause an ecological disaster, Do not ever do this.

The only circumstances in which they will not grow to large for a 75g tank is if they are stunted, They are not appropriate fish to live their lives in a 75g tank.
    I am aware of that but do not think that will be to much of a problem were I plan to release them if it comes to that. I know a few farmers around that have built their own private dams(I think to collect water for crops but not to sure) that belong to them so I guess you can classify that as a giant pond right? I do not think there are any other fish in them as there are no rivers and it has filled up by collecting rainwater and could hand the fish over to the owners.I do not plan on releasing any fish into any damn that is connected to any rivers or with fish already or without the owners permission. The fish might not survive but they will be given a good chance though. But with any luck that fish store was right about the size and it is one of those smaller species that only grow to 20cm. If so I could find them nice homes then and probably keep one still.
    Just need to try and find out which one of those species I have now.

0 Not allowed!
    Just need to try and find out which one of those species I have now.
    Ask the shop what Latin name they order it under, Or their distributor/breeder should know also.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 01-09-2013 at 08:47 AM.