· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Planning a 75

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

Default Planning a 75

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so planning the first tank out of the group of tanks I just recieved... I am looking for a stocking list for a 75gal african tank. Here is my current want list:

P. taeniolatus (Red Empress)
    Red Nyererei
    M. auratus
    N. venustus
    P. sp. "Rock Kribensis"
    Pundamilia nyererei Anchor Island
    Haplichromis Sp. Flame Back

and I would LOVE some advice on other breathtaking species. Also if you know where I can get male female combo's of any of the above. I would love to see if I can get a harem or m/f combo that works.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    Oooo I'm a big fan of auratus. Beautiful fish; both males and females are lovely looking. Fierce temperaments though. I kept a female in a mixed mbuna (and other completely unsuitable and, now, embarrassing tankmates) 6' tank as a teenager.

She behaved impeccably until a few fish died and she gained some territory. I've never seen anything attach a 12" common pleco like this little cowbag did

She got rehomed...but I missed her. I'd love to keep some of them properly now I have an education
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I think I have settled into a 1m/3f list of the following:

P. taeniolatus (Red Empress)
    N. venustus
    and if I can find them Red Nyererei

If I can get some females holding, I plan to strip them and throw them in an egg tumbler.

Any thoughts?

0 Not allowed!
    I'd recommend a 125gal or larger if keeping a breeding group (1m/4f) of nimbochromis venustus (these fish get upwards of 10"-11" and are active swimmers).

Red Empresses may do better in a 90gal or larger (usually the minimum tank size for any tank housing medium-sized haps, but might work in a 75gal).
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Good info, I can step up the gallons if thats whats needed for these species. What would you recommend as a group in a 75? I know they need overstocking and I have excess filtration and a schedule of maintenance that we all come to expect here at the AC. I have plans for a sump potentially as well. Would the excess water volume make up for anything?

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for late reply, not sure if you have made any headway yet, But I'll throw my 2 cents in anyways. In a 75 gallon I would recommend 3 groups of 6-8 fish that DONT GET TOO LARGE. IE, some of the dwarf mbuna such as demasoni. There are some very nice pseudotropheus species that will do well. I keep pseudotropheus flavus and pseudotropheus elongatus ((chewere), there are a few different variants of the elongatus). Maybe some afras and the like would also be worth considering? I would stay away from auratus, and things like that as they get fairly large and belong in species tanks IME and opinion. Anywho, I'd say no more than 18-20 sub-adult to adult sized mbuna for a 75. Overstocking is easier to accomplish than you might think. I'd also like to add that you won't want to mix the different lakes, or even haps and peacocks, with the mbuna from lake Malawi. IMO at least. If you want venustus, add some haps or peacock. If you want some sort of mbuna, go with all mbuna. Basically, just research until you find 3 types of africans that suit your tank and each other.

As for ratios, 1 male of each would result in absolutely stunning male colorations and that would give you 3 beautiful centerpieces. Also the females will school beautifully if stocked properly. Some websites that are good for offering m/f in appropriate numbers are SIcichlids.com, Davesfish.com, and livefishdirect.com. LiveFishDirect has given me a few issues but otherwise are a good site.
    Last edited by Northerly; 01-14-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.