· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default MTS...yes or no?

0 Not allowed!
    I apologize if this is covered elsewhere in this forum but I'm wondering what the current thought is on this subject.

All three of my aquariums have a little algae in them. I don't mind scrubbing glass during water changes, but cleaning the artificial plants in my two smaller aquariums is something I'd just rather not do every week.

While my 50g/planted has a sand substrate, I kind of like the idea of having these snails aerating it nightly so I don't have to do it manually.

I realize that adding Malaysian Trumpet Snails would require a fair amount of culling once they begin to reproduce and, according to wiki, they can be intermediate hosts to (human) parasitical liver flukes (um...eww). I would be interested in learning from those who have introduced them to their aquariums.

Is it worth it?
    5g hex desktop with The Dude, a crowntail betta;
    16g bowfront with 3 ADFs and 6 danios;
    50g with 20 neons, 5 hatchets, 5 julii corys, 6 ghost shrimp, and one dwarf gourami;
    and Mika the She-Wolf, a Siberian Husky

2. Default Worth it? Not really.

0 Not allowed!
    We have a lot of algae in our 15-gallon and probably upwards of 60 trumpet snails. They really don't do that good a job of cleaning. It's probably easier to clean the plants yourself than deal with the resulting explosion (and they will explode) of snails.
    15 gal: 1 butt-ton Malaysian trumpet snails.
    20 gal: 20+ various molly and platy fry.
    55 gal: 40 neon tetras.
    75 gal: 2 Taiwan reef cichlids, 3 pelmatochromis nigrofasciatus juveniles.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I personally welcome MTS and any other snail that won't eat my plants. I've never had major algae problems, but I feel that the snails help to create a more realistic and natural look to the tank. I've also always liked that they help to stir up the substrate.

0 Not allowed!
    Just throw your plastic plants in a mild bleach solution now and then. Nothing to it. I would not buy the snails. All you have to do is run your fingers through the sand now and then. It's not like there is any work involved.

Sounds as you have diatoms. They are normal in new tanks and will go away on there own.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Just throw your plastic plants in a mild bleach solution now and then. Nothing to it. Sounds as you have diatoms.
    Good advice! You should make a sticky.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When first looked at the title of this thread I thought maybe you were questioning whether or not you had MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) and then I was looking forward to a picture or pictures of many many tanks you may have.

Oh well! Sorry I don't know much on snails. Just found the title alluring.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 6 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, 2 Silver Hatchet's, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, 2 assassin snails.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project