· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    That tank is looking wonderful! I also appreciate your detailed post. Interesting that you're also using the ADA dosing products. I've considered these but I was put off by the fact that some of them contain ammonia (and they are quite expensive). What do you think about this?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    That tank is looking wonderful! I also appreciate your detailed post. Interesting that you're also using the ADA dosing products. I've considered these but I was put off by the fact that some of them contain ammonia (and they are quite expensive). What do you think about this?
    I believe they contain Ammonium, which is what Seachem Prime breaks ammonia down into. Ammonium is quickly absorbed by plants and is used for something in them ( I am not entirely sure what). So it doesent harm fish and since you add so little ( for a larger tank its a good squeeze almost after doing the calculations the directions give ya ) the Ammoniun is highly unlikely to show up on testing anyways!

Each of the ADA Dosing lines does a different thing from my understanding:

ECA: This is a rich Iron concentrate that doesen't break down too easily. It is meant to be used after trimmings and when you notice some of your red plants (high lights) arent displaying red coloration.

Green Bacter: I use this religiously. I highly recommend this. It is used to help battle Algae essentially. It supplies a food for the Nitrogen Cycle Bacteria/ Bacteria that will consume left over nutrients from fertilizers. I use this a lot!

Phyton Git: Is meant to be used after trimmings mainly. Helps plants regrow new growths. And helps with algae as well during wc's.

Green Gain: I do not use this but my understanding is its a combination between ECA and Phyton Get? Supposed to help after trimming.

After a quick search on google trying to find the place I got some of this info from, I found it! Credit for finding this info should be given to Redarowanaman on the AZAquatics forum!

I am having some similar effects as to what Redarowanaman says but I am also finding some different uses as well. I would highly recommend the Liquid Additive line to anyone!!
    Last edited by Mitch p; 01-29-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    75 Gallon Planted Tank!
    if(tank.love == valid)
    {
    tank.love.share(Everyone);
    }

else
    tank.startOver(new);

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oops I also forgot to add my cute Panda Cories to the list of stuff in the tank!
    75 Gallon Planted Tank!
    if(tank.love == valid)
    {
    }

else
    tank.startOver(new);

4. Default Update 2-9-13

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys! I am back with another update of the tank! Today was a big day! Had to do a water change, spot treat some algae spots with Excel and cleaned the glass of the tank. But no trimming this week. So I decided to show some of my methods for water changing and then show the tank!

For Starters, it is always good to have a wingman or a wing-woman. This is vital to your success. Here's mine:

Next We go on to taking out the water of the tank:
    The water goes into a bucket on a board on wheels xD. Its a 25-30g bucket ( I really can't remember which one ). I then just wheel the bucket out towards back yard and use some powerheads to water flowers and other things
    I have 2 of these buckets at the moment, one for taking water out, and one for putting it back in.

So at this point ( around 2 buckets full of water is out so roughly 50 gallons of water ) is out of the tank. This is when I took just a small medicine pipette and started spot treating some of the problem algae spots. I choose to use this method for algae spots as opposed to treating the whole tank just out of safety. I also clean the glass as best I can at this point as well!

Next comes filling the tank back up. Remember that massive bucket I used to take out the water? Well I use another to put water back into the tank! I simply roll it over to my water source, fill up some 5 gallon buckets from home depot and pour them in. I then take a power head and use it fill the tank back up.

I use my Magnetic Algae scrubber as a way to kind of break up the flow of the output from the powerhead.

It takes quite a while to fill the tank back up, but it keeps from disturbing my fish and it makes life easier!
    75 Gallon Planted Tank!
    if(tank.love == valid)
    {
    }

else
    tank.startOver(new);

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now onto the pictures of the tank filled up!

Here is a full tank shot:

I know its blurry but these are my GBR's. I found a breeder who said he was on his 6 or 7th generation of Blue Rams. So this meant that even if the original parents had hormones injected in them, it wouldn't be a problem for me. As you can tell they aren't the normal bright variant of the GBR. The hormones really make a difference. However I enjoy the fact that they are healthy!

They love this area around the base of the driftwood. They seem throughout the branches and under the gap at the base. They LOVE this crypt for some reason tho. Please ignore the algae on some of the plants ( those were the places I spot treated today xD)

75 Gallon Planted Tank!
    if(tank.love == valid)
    {
    }

else
    tank.startOver(new);

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As you can tell I am really proud of my GBR's!

But I do have other fish! Like Guppies! And guppy babies!!!

So hard to get good pics on my S3 xD. Really sorry for the blurry photos!

Some of my baby platys are growing up:

http://s1215.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=1

Another group Shot:

And one last one:

Thanks for looking guys! Comments are always appreciated!
    75 Gallon Planted Tank!
    if(tank.love == valid)
    {
    }

else
    tank.startOver(new);

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good. It's exactly the kind of flooded bank that rams tend to love so they should do well. Impressive array of bottles you got below the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    I really love this tank. Superb planting and decor, very nice stocking, and great photos! Really enjoyable.

You need a chair set up in front of it
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Looks good. It's exactly the kind of flooded bank that rams tend to love so they should do well. Impressive array of bottles you got below the tank.
    Thanks for the comment and compliment! I am a big fan of fancy bottles I suppose!

Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    I really love this tank. Superb planting and decor, very nice stocking, and great photos! Really enjoyable.

You need a chair set up in front of it
    After you mentioned the chair, I went and did it! Ended up watching the tank for almost an hour :D
    75 Gallon Planted Tank!
    if(tank.love == valid)
    {
    }

else
    tank.startOver(new);

0 Not allowed!
    Absolutely stunning tank, Mitch. I love your scaping (especially how you planted around that awesome branch).

Also, thank you for posting your dosing regimen. Not enough people do that for those of us trying to get a hang of things. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?