· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tank looks great!! Nice job!!

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice clear tank, great job Mitch.

I can't wait to see fish in it.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Having a little trouble with green water! Oh no!!! I have decided and have ordered a really nice In-line UV sterilizer. I have been trying to convince myself that its not worth it and that I would never buy one unless I had algae problems...and well.....what do ya know!!!! So I decided I am just gonna accept the benefits of using UV and made the jump for it
    75 Gallon Planted Tank!
    if(tank.love == valid)
    {
    tank.love.share(Everyone);
    }

else
    tank.startOver(new);

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Green water (algae) most often is caused by too much 'food' (from any source) ... what are the nitrates and phosphates in the water? Really need to know those if you are keeping a planted tank that happens to have fish ... .

By the way, very nice tank!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    Green water (algae) most often is caused by too much 'food' (from any source) ... what are the nitrates and phosphates in the water? Really need to know those if you are keeping a planted tank that happens to have fish ... .

By the way, very nice tank!

Nothing in the water just yet! However I don't have a nitrate/phosphate kit due to the fact that the majority of them give wrong readings and I dont wanna dish out a ton of money for "decent" kits for those . Also from a little research when I was getting the items ready for the tank, many people said they paid top dollar for the kits and then diddnt use them again after the first month =/. Do you have an opinion on this? If it is seen as necessary I will gladly pick it up, however I am hesitant to do so because my 15g diddnt need it . If I can save a buck, I am always happy :), but of course someone with more experience than myself is always a great source for information and opinions so please do share!!!

I have my own theory about my green water and its that the tank is freshly set up with an abundance of a very nutrient rich soil. The water is not "OMG I CANT SEE THE BACK OF MY TANK " green, just has a slight green hue to it. So I am wondering whether its what Cermet said ( very likely, but not sure because I havent dosed any ferts yet or fed any fish (there are no fish ) ) or if the soils leached nutrients are the problem.

Time will tell! These things can be solved folks!! And I will figure it out one way or another! Now I am off to do more research on what Cermit said!
    75 Gallon Planted Tank!
    if(tank.love == valid)
    {
    }

else
    tank.startOver(new);

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    First off, Seachem kits have a 'standard' solution to use in order to confirm the kit is working.

A nitrate kit is needed weekly - both to track the water level to determine when to make a water change and how much water. For plants, and fish this level is critical. Too high and algae will grow (over 10 ppm is, for me, high) and too low (under 3 ppm) the plants will suffer. Can't see how one could get along (with a heavily planted tank) without that kit.

A phosphate kit is useful but rarely used but when needed, critical. Most tanks with substrates and good water changes will still, slowly, build up phosphate levels. Checking this level is useful. If the level is well below 1 ppm, plants will suffer. Algae will not run away with higher levels if the nitrates are very low (not good for aplanted tank) so keeping tabs on the phosphate level is good. Conversily, if nitrates levels are good for plants but phosphate levels very high, algae may become an issue.

Another kit that I really think people with plants could use is an iron test kit - the level needed for a healthy plant growth, while fully safe for fish, has little room for error. Hence, blindly dosing iron can be deadly for fish. Thus, a kit is very desirable but once you exstablish the rate the tank is using it, would rarely be used except to cross check every few months.

Seachem makes all these kits and they include standards. I am very unhappy with the API nitrate kit since I need to measure 1 ppm very well (and below.) Most people really don't and the Seachem kit would be useless.

Hope that helps on kits.

Aside: a large (very) water change will really help remove the algae and nutrients and maybe, in time, the levels will drop. Useful to know the nitrate levels and ammonia/nitrite, if any.
    Last edited by Cermet; 01-19-2013 at 09:19 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    First off, Seachem kits have a 'standard' solution to use in order to confirm the kit is working.

A nitrate kit is needed weekly - both to track the water level to determine when to make a water change and how much water. For plants, and fish this level is critical. Too high and algae will grow (over 10 ppm is, for me, high) and too low (under 3 ppm) the plants will suffer. Can't see how one could get along (with a heavily planted tank) without that kit.

A phosphate kit is useful but rarely used but when needed, critical. Most tanks with substrates and good water changes will still, slowly, build up phosphate levels. Checking this level is useful. If the level is well below 1 ppm, plants will suffer. Algae will not run away with higher levels if the nitrates are very low (not good for aplanted tank) so keeping tabs on the phosphate level is good. Conversily, if nitrates levels are good for plants but phosphate levels very high, algae may become an issue.

Another kit that I really think people with plants could use is an iron test kit - the level needed for a healthy plant growth, while fully safe for fish, has little room for error. Hence, blindly dosing iron can be deadly for fish. Thus, a kit is very desirable but once you exstablish the rate the tank is using it, would rarely be used except to cross check every few months.

Seachem makes all these kits and they include standards. I am very unhappy with the API nitrate kit since I need to measure 1 ppm very well (and below.) Most people really don't and the Seachem kit would be useless.

Hope that helps on kits.

Aside: a large (very) water change will really help remove the algae and nutrients and maybe, in time, the levels will drop. Useful to know the nitrate levels and ammonia/nitrite, if any.

AH yes, I have the API master kit. Its terrible lol
    75 Gallon Planted Tank!
    if(tank.love == valid)
    {
    }

else
    tank.startOver(new);

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great looking tank!!!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzykylie
    Great looking tank!!!
    Thanks!

Just ordered a bunch of plants from users on the planted tank. Should be great!!
    75 Gallon Planted Tank!
    if(tank.love == valid)
    {
    }

else
    tank.startOver(new);

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a quick update with some pictures!

Here are some of the fish :D. After getting my tank cycled, I added a couple drops of ammonia for a few days to make sure it went to 0 in the Ammonia and Nitrite categories before adding any fish to the tank.

Here are some of the fish :D. After getting my tank cycled, I added a couple drops of ammonia for a few days to make sure it went to 0 in the Ammonia and Nitrite categories before adding any fish to the tank.

Current stocking list:
    Guppies
    Mollies - May get rid of the mollies not sure.
    Platys
    German Blue Rams
    1 Albino Bushynose pleco

After moving all my plants from the 15g, I noticed I had some babies in the tank! Here is a picture of 1 of them growing up pretty well. I have since had more babies that include guppies and platys!

After moving all my plants from the 15g, I noticed I had some babies in the tank! Here is a picture of 1 of them growing up pretty well. I have since had more babies that include guppies and platys!

I did have a bit of an O2 problem at night but that has been fixed by putting 2 airstones with check valves and putting them on a timer for whenever I stop my Co2. Problemo solved!

And now here is a full tank shots! This was taken before running the UV Sterilizer a few days ago. When I get home I will take another picture and post it for a before and after effect.

I have had some pretty good growth as you can see! I did actually change the bulb timings I have and the length of time they stay on. I currently have this setup:

8 AM : Plant Grow Bulb turns on (simulates sun rising )
    9 AM: Plant Grow Bulb Off - 2 6500k Lights on
    4:30 PM: 2 6500k lights off -Co2 Off - Airstones on - Plant Grow Bulb on -
    6 PM: Plant grow Bulb off.

This seems to be working REALLY well for me for growth, algae, and fish happiness.

My dosing/ Waterchange schedule is currently:

Sunday: 50-60% water change + Trim + ADA Phyton Git+Dose ferts (Pfertz dosing)
    Monday: ADA Green Bacter
    Tuesday: 15% water change
    Wednesday: Dose Pfertz
    Thursday: ADA Green Bacter
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Rest

So far this really seems to be working for me.

I also have a bunch of Nerite snails on the way to help out as well!

Comments welcome!
    Last edited by Mitch p; 01-29-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    75 Gallon Planted Tank!
    if(tank.love == valid)
    {
    }

else
    tank.startOver(new);