· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

Default I lost my cycle, everthing going downhill...

0 Not allowed!
    First I broke the handle on my Marineland C220 canister filter so I over nighted a new Fluval G3 (it looked very user friendly for my weak fingers).
    I transferred all my media to the new filter and tested my parameters daily to make sure all was ok...no problems.

Then we lost power for 1-1/2 days so I added battery operated air stones but I did not have anyway to keep the filter running (have since ordered a sponge filter that can be run by a battery operated airstone) but I must have lost my BB because I'm now seeing ammonia.

This really didn't worry me at first because I started out doing an "unintentional" fishin cycle so I'm a pro at daily water changes (my ottos are so used to it they will attach themselves to the the siphon)

Here's the problem...I'm going on vacation in less than 2 weeks and am terrified at the thought that my tank will not "recycle" by the time I have to leave. I don't have anyone I can teach to do water changes but I'm going to ask the LFS if anyone there can come to my house while I'm gone as a last resort to monitor and do water changes.

I've also thought about asking the lfs for some used media but just the thought of adding something unhealthy to my very healthy tank makes me cringe, it may be swapping one problem for another.

I'm also attempting a fishless cycle with my 20 gal QT in the hope that I could then transfer the media from that HOB filter to my canister but that may not happen in time for my vacation.

Another thought is an upflow algae scrubber (will be receiving tomorrow) but I'm on the fence as to whether this will help or hurt the current cycling issue. I'm panicking

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

0 Not allowed!
    If the media was kept in tank water while you lost power, most of the bacteria would still be OK. You test results will confirm that. I would suggest testing your parameters first before getting too worried about everything

Also, it will likely take weeks to grow a good amount of algae in a up-flow algae scrubber. They are not very efficiant form of a algae scrubbers. ALso, algae scrubbers are more effective as a means to help control nitrates and phosphates. They are not nearly as effective or a replacment for a cycled filter
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Cliff in that such scrubbers can help conrol ammonia and convert nitrites into harmless waste; however, as long as your primary filter is still operating to some extent, the scrubber will makeup for a great deal of the lost bacteria and might be a good way to go. It takes almost two weeks to get the first algae growth in an air driven, in tank algae scrubber (after that, only a few days) so if you want to go that route, now is the time to get started.

Once established, this will help with phosphates and nitrates long term so it is a good addition to any tank. Being operated by an air pump these units are useful for adding extra air, too.

I see no way the QT filter can cycle in two weeks.

Forgot to add, the regrowth of the algae is what clears the wastes so removal of a fully grown algae scrubber is essential - a week to ten days is typical so a two week vacation would be too long.
    Last edited by Cermet; 01-06-2013 at 02:13 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok calm down This is an issue but generally speaking A day and a half isn't enough time for all your BB to starve to death.

Look at this as a mini cycle. As to its severity, The key question is this: What level ammonia readings are you getting?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    If you are still worried, start adding some Seachem Stability every day for a week. But mini-spikes generally correct themselves very quickly. Do a "large" water change before you go away and don't add more fish until after you've returned.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff, the media remained in my canister during the power outage. This happened on 12/15 and I tested daily for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates until 12/20 with everything looking ok then on 12/23 before doing my regular weekly w/c I tested my water parameters I found .25 ammonia/0 nitrites/.5 nitrates and my normal-ish (7.6 from the tap but always drops a bit in the tank) ph of 7.2 had dropped to 6.0. I did a 75% w/c to correct the ph but it has been dropping daily even though I have crushed coral to help buffer my soft water.

Cermet, yes I agree, trying to to complete a fishless cycle in less than 2 weeks is futile but I was desperate and figured it couldn't hurt to try :(. I am leaving for vacation in 12 days but will only be gone for 5 days so I may hook up the upflow algae scrubber and give it a shot.

850R, thank you, I am taking a deep breath or trying to :). Ever since 12/23 I have been doing daily 50% pwc's due to daily readings of .25 ammonia. I have had 0 nitrites and my nitrates have dropped to 0 (all the water changes?). I'm even experiencing an outbreak of diatoms again which led me to believe I lost all my BB. I was thinking there may be a mini cycle but didn't think it would take this long to recover.

Lady Hobbs, I will start adding Stability daily and do a large w/c before I leave. Fingers crossed!!!!

Thanks again for the support, I can't wait until I have enough experience with being a keeper of fish to be able to help others as I have been helped...right now I feel like all I do take your help but can't give back.
    Last edited by JudiJetson; 01-06-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Do you know how long the pH was at 6.0 or if it dropped any lower. With a pH of 6.0 nitrifying bacteria will stop growing and any lower they will die off.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    mommy1 on 12/20 my ph was 7.0, on 12/23 6.0, since then it has been 6.6-6.8. it seems even all the water changes aren't stabilizing it

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    At a pH of 6.6 to 6.8 the bacteria will grow but at a slower rate. Have you tested the pH in your tap water?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    yes I did, it's 7.6 out of tap and I've filled a glass and let it sit for 24 hours and still tests at 76.