· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Questions... nano shrimp tank

0 Not allowed!
    The filter should be here today for my 5.5 gal shrimp tank. Journal here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=109360 I am going to shrimpless cycle the tank. I have a few questions though...

1. I can seed the filter in my other tank, but was wondering how long to leave it in the established tank... or would I be better off just cycling the filter in the new tank?

2. It's my understanding that shrimp don't do well in newly cycled tanks... Should I let the tank run for a while after it is cycled (dosing ammonia daily) to let the tank "season"? If so, how long? Would seeding the filter in my other tank help with this? Or is this a non-issue? I do have a few java ferns in there now and will be adding moss at some point before I add the shrimp...

3. Any other things I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    What type of shrimp are u keeping? If red cherry shrimp then they will do fine in a freshly cycled tank. Infact i cycled my 5.5g with my shrimp and only lost 2/12.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will be keeping Red Cherries in there... So I can stock right after cycling then... good.

So do I seed the filter in my established tank or just cycle it in the new tank...

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Just watch for any ammonia - if any at all, large water change. The issue with most newly cycled filters is a spike if the bio-load added exceeds the current filter capacity; if not, all will be fine.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry a 3 week seed should be fine. Rcs have a small bioload. Make sure u have a cover for the filter (if using a hob or canister.)
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am running a sponge filter so no issues with sucking up shrimp. I will run the new filter in my established tank until I can find a good deal on RCS, but no less than 3 weeks. When the shrimp arrive I will swap the filter into the shrimp tank and test parameters daily to ensure everything is ok. Sound good?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingIsFishy
    I am running a sponge filter so no issues with sucking up shrimp. I will run the new filter in my established tank until I can find a good deal on RCS, but no less than 3 weeks. When the shrimp arrive I will swap the filter into the shrimp tank and test parameters daily to ensure everything is ok. Sound good?
    Sounds like a good plan!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    if you are interested i know of a place that will give you a great deal on RCS if there are any avalible. the person who sells them is a great person.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183475

they are a buck a piece plus about 6$ for shipping, and you get a free plants either peacock moss or riccia if i remember right lol....
    gotta love them bunnies!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great! Thanks for the help everyone!

0 Not allowed!
    I ran mine for around four-six weeks before stocking it (from what I can remember) and there was some good algae in there for the shrimp when they went in. If stocking in a clean tank - make sure they get some food every day until you have some algae for them to feed on. They are constant foragers.

I now feed mine about twice a week.

Can't wait to see your next updates
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~