· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Filter question

1. Default Filter question

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a 20 gallon long off craigslist and it came with an "AquaClear 20 Power Filter" with Sponge and bio balls for filtration.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/aquaclea...-filter-20-gal

I thought it would be neccesary to get a 2nd filter so I got a Aqueon Quiet Flow 10.

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...ilter74412.htm

The Aqueon Quiet flow is very strange and didnt know if anyone has good or bad opinions on this model. THe biological filtration is just the plastis pillars that dont seem to be very effective. Should I take this back and get something different?
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I were you I would probably take it back just because you want 40 gallons worth of filtration on that tank amd that will only make 30. You can put the second filter on the other end of the tank to avoid dead spots since it is long. Another aquaclear filter would be great because there are no cartidges to wear out, just really the foam inserts and those last a very long time.

If concerned about price difference buy the new filter online, way cheaper.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Also, bio-balls are very poor compared to ceramic noodles (vastly more area for bacteria growth.) Get a filter that can hold the ceramic noodles and phase out the bio-balls also with ceramic noodles.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 that you want at least twice the rating for your tank size.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Both models have the same specifications, 100GPH with Max tank size at 20 gallons. I feel very comfortable with those specs.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree... I would take the aqueon quiet flow back. I had one on my 55g. there just is not enough bio filtration to them. Get another AquaClear but as others have said get twice the filtration. Like the AC50.

As best I understand a good rule of thumb is to half the manufactures spec on the GPH rating to accommodate for the filter media. You also want a filter that is big enough to handle the entire tanks needs in case one fails.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to all of the above advice - feeling comfortable with what the boxes say does not mean it's adequate filtration. If "up to 20gal" were accurate, no one here would be recommending otherwise. Boxes that fish tanks come in also have pictures of fish that don't belong in them.

Having filtration for at least double the size of your tank is important so there is enough bio media to house sufficient bacteria to handle the ammonia of a fully stocked tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

0 Not allowed!
    You could also add a sponge fiter for extra bio instead. You'll also get added aeration. I do this with most of my tanks. I place the hob at one end of the tank and the sponge at the other.
    Angel breeder wanna-be

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info, I would definitely choose aqua clear over aqueon at this point.