· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Filter Maintenance

0 Not allowed!
    I have a new tank that has been running about 3 months. How do I maintain the filter medium? I've read that I should rinse it off in the tank water that I remove during a water change? Is the correct and how often should I do this? How do I know when to change the medium? I have an Aqueon 75 filter.

Thanks in advance for the info!

55g African Cichlid tank -
    29g Community tank -

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had 2 filters and generally cleaned 1 every month or when the flow slows. Mine were both external cannisters and I have never owned an Aqueon 75.

I washed the sponges in tap water then in tank water in a bucket, the ceramic/bio I washed only in tank water as tap water would kill the beneficial bacteria and ruin the nitrogen cycle.

If you don't have bio media wash sponges in tank water too.

I wouldn't change the bio media or the sponge unless it was falling to bits which would hopefully take years.
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I started with an aqueon filter, what I did is change the cartridge every month.
    In the aqueon the bacteria lives in the "bio holster" (blue plastic where the cartridge fit) and the wet/dry outing of the water (blue plastic as well) this is what you want to preserve those parts should not come in contact with unconditioned water, so I always just rinsed them gently into tank water.

Here is a couple videos from aqueon, it helped me understanding my filter at the time, now I have an aquaclear/fluval and love it.
    http://www.aqueonproducts.com/educat...?v=UrJ_BF5i-h8
    http://www.aqueonproducts.com/educat...?v=qdIlAvErVuE
    Last edited by Delphe; 01-05-2013 at 04:58 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if in doubt as to where your bacteria grow, rinse it all in old tank water - gentle rinse to get rid of the worst of the gunk, give sponges a bit of a squeeze to get rid of solid matter. Once a month or so seems to work fine for me, or unless you see a noticeable drop in flow as previously pointed out

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info guys. A big help!

29g Community tank -

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphe
    Hello,

I started with an aqueon filter, what I did is change the cartridge every month.
    In the aqueon the bacteria lives in the "bio holster" (blue plastic where the cartridge fit) and the wet/dry outing of the water (blue plastic as well) this is what you want to preserve those parts should not come in contact with unconditioned water, so I always just rinsed them gently into tank water.

Here is a couple videos from aqueon, it helped me understanding my filter at the time, now I have an aquaclear/fluval and love it.
    http://www.aqueonproducts.com/educat...?v=UrJ_BF5i-h8
    http://www.aqueonproducts.com/educat...?v=qdIlAvErVuE
    These were great videos, thanks. This is probably a really stupid question, but do the bacteria really live on the plastic? It seems like they would live in the filter pad itself, but I'm no scientist. Is the bacteria like a slime coating on the plastic pieces? (bio holder and that other plastic piece)

29g Community tank -

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by phatchuck
    These were great videos, thanks. This is probably a really stupid question, but do the bacteria really live on the plastic? It seems like they would live in the filter pad itself, but I'm no scientist. Is the bacteria like a slime coating on the plastic pieces? (bio holder and that other plastic piece)
    I think you are right they are also living on the pad it is a logical place for them to establish (can seem silly allowing the bacteria to grow on a piece to be replaced every so often). And yes every time I had to clean to bio holster from mulm (I believe is the name of that brown slime) I was afraid I killed many bacterias. So out of distrust and because of my tap water, I did add a couple biomax bags 20 behind the cartridge and ended up "annoying" the water flow.

Now that said, I never had any problem with the filter itself, i think it is a good filter, not as versatile as the aquaclear that's it.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphe
    I think you are right they are also living on the pad it is a logical place for them to establish (can seem silly allowing the bacteria to grow on a piece to be replaced every so often). And yes every time I had to clean to bio holster from mulm (I believe is the name of that brown slime) I was afraid I killed many bacterias. So out of distrust and because of my tap water, I did add a couple biomax bags 20 behind the cartridge and ended up "annoying" the water flow.

Now that said, I never had any problem with the filter itself, i think it is a good filter, not as versatile as the aquaclear that's it.
    In reading some of the other posts in the forum, I'm intrigued by the ceramic media like BioMax Balls for my filter. Do I just put them in the part of the filter prior to the pads? Seems like there is a lot of room for them and you can never have enough good bacteria.

Also, I'm running the Aqueon 75 on a 55g right now. In order to provide extra filtration is it worth it to add a small 20 or 30 gallon filter to the other side of the tank or should I just double the capacity with another 75? I have a lot of small fish (see signature below) and I am worried that there may be too much suction going on for them to be comfortable if I have two 75's running. That may be a silly thought, but that's why I'm in the Beginner's Forum. ;-)

29g Community tank -

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Personally I have always had double the filtration for the tank size. You will see I also have loads of small fish and they actually seem to enjoy the extra water flow, also if 1 pump fails I wont end up losing all my B/Bacteria and filtration

the more bio rings you have the more room for B/Bacteria if you need it.
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have read that the ceramic bio rings or balls should be placed 'after' the pads and closest to the exit point of the water and I have read the opposite, that they should be before. If my filter has two pads, can some go in between? What do you guys do?

29g Community tank -