· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Normal for Pearl to swim around frantically?

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a Pearl Gourami on Thursday, it was shy at first but soon started swimming around exploring. Today however it is at the front of the tank swimming up and down the glass, and from left to right. I thought it might be hungry as it didnt eat on the first day so I put some food in but it barely touched it, it only nibbled on some of the smaller pieces.

Is this normal behavior? Or will it settle down? My ammonia/nitrite levels are good so ive ruled that out.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How big is your tank? Two things it could be are he might simply be adjusting to his new environment or he might feel cramped. My dwarf gourami was also frantically pacing the tank on his first day; it helped to turn off the lights above the tank and dim the room.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by koaladarshana
    How big is your tank? Two things it could be are he might simply be adjusting to his new environment or he might feel cramped. My dwarf gourami was also frantically pacing the tank on his first day; it helped to turn off the lights above the tank and dim the room.
    Its a Juwel Rio 125. Ok cheers I will turn the light off now and see if he calms down.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Aside from acclimatising, frantic pacing may also be a sign of bullying. Try and see if anyone is constantly following him around, once you've ruled out the acclimatising period.

A fish doesn't necessarily have to show damage to be stressed by other tankmates.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai
    Aside from acclimatising, frantic pacing may also be a sign of bullying. Try and see if anyone is constantly following him around, once you've ruled out the acclimatising period.

A fish doesn't necessarily have to show damage to be stressed by other tankmates.
    He seems to have calmed down now and I didnt even turn the light off. He went back to exploring + picking at algae. My Black Skirts havent bothered him from what ive seen, he swims with them or past them and they act like he isnt even there. I admit that when I first put him in one was a little curious and was watching his feelers flailing about but thats it. Maybe he is just acclimatising.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like the problem worked it's self out. Good luck with the Pearl they are one of my favorite Gourami's.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Hopefully it was just acclimation problems, however you said earlier that your nitrite and ammonia levels are good. That's kinda vague, any ammonia showing in a tank is not good. Also anything above 10ppm nitrites aint too good either.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    Hopefully it was just acclimation problems, however you said earlier that your nitrite and ammonia levels are good. That's kinda vague, any ammonia showing in a tank is not good. Also anything above 10ppm nitrites aint too good either.
    When I say they are good I mean they are at 0

In any case he is still doing the pacing, even when the tank light is off. He doesnt do it all the time, sometimes he will go and explore for a bit then goes back to it

0 Not allowed!
    He's just exploring his new surroundings.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus
    He's just exploring his new surroundings.
    Thats fine but whats worrying me is the fact he isnt really eating the flake food im putting in, he will go near the top of the tank when I feed the other fish but he wont take the food. Are you supposed to feed Gouramis something else like bloodworm? I tried breaking up an algae wafer but he didnt touch it.