· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    I have 7 open top tanks running and no mold issues, I suspect your issue is likely not the tanks.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I purchase versa-tops for my tanks usually before I even purchase my lights lol:p And it's not alot, but definitely noticeable. I have either 2 HOBs on my tank, or a sponge filter. Could be all that surface agitation. Anyways, I'm not convinced that it's my tanks causing the mold.

BTW, I had told the other people in the house it wasn't my tanks but nooooooooooooo they insisted and were pestering me. Now I have ammo >:)

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Northerly; 01-04-2013 at 11:11 PM.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly
    Yeah, always. And I do lose to evaporation. How do you avoid losing water to evaporation..? Even with bi-weekly WC's my water evaporates at least a little.
    I really don't know. I reckon I might loose half a bucket if I left the tank alone for two weeks straight. Not sure. Perhaps living in the cold, damp, grey UK helps
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    In my other apartment, I had a bit of a mold problem but just sprayed it now and then with bleach/water and cleaned it up. Where I live now, I never have a problem with it. My tanks are all open-tops and I have a lot of evaporation from them, as well. You need not get rid of tanks if you keep the mold cleaned up.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 1900 gallons in a 12x13x7 foot space. All tanks sealed. I run a De humidifier and use a central forced air furnace to get to 82F.

The thing you are seeing is a dew point moisture situation.

Hot air holds more water, as the hot air hits the cold air from the air leaks around your windows or gets up to the cold glass it dumps it's water.

The only solution is to prevent the water rom getting into the air in the first place and to remove any that might get into the air. You absolutely must use a dehumidifier. Soleus air makes a nice small one that pulls low amps. I use that and pull about 4 gallons per day from my air.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks IWA. Good info as usual. I am not sure of the brand of dehumidifier I have but its kinda bulky so I doubt its that one. I'll probably look into a second one as the tanks are spread between rooms.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you running a humidifier on your furnace. Us fish folks , we don't need those. Those things just add more water to the air. You can just turn off the water supply to it if you have one. Turn of the power to it as well.

0 Not allowed!
    No it's just a stand-alone dehumidifier.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Take a look at your furnace. It might have a humidifier on it. That would be a little odd looking box on the side of thee sheet metal part of your furnace unit where the air gets collected to be distributed around your home. Furnaces use a humidifier to add water to the air because moist air holds heat energy longer making it more efficient to have moist air. We also don't do well in very dry air.

A humidifier adds water to the air.
    A de-humidifier removes water from the air.

If you have too much water in the air and need to use a de-humidifier.....

you do not want or need to have your humidifier adding water into the air.

0 Not allowed!
    Ahhh now I understand. My bad:p I will check as soon as I get home, this could be part of the problem for sure. Thank you.