· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Pencilfish

1. Default Pencilfish

0 Not allowed!
    Ive been looking for a small shoaling fish and pencilfish look like a nice alternative to tetras/rasboras. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on them, and if they would mix well with my current fish (white cloud minnows, black widow tetras, pearl gourami). What is considered the minimum number to keep, and does there need to be any sort of male/female ratio? By tank is a Juwel Rio 125 btw.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    There are several varieties of pencilfish, so you may want to narrow down which types you are looking at a bit more. In addition, depending on your area they may not be as readily available or not, so check to see what your lfs would stock.

All that said... I'd focus more on increasing your existing schools to a more sizable number, so that you see better school/shoal behaviors. 4 is just barely a school. And in a 125liter (~33 gallon) 2 good sized schools/shoals would have more interesting behavior than 3 small schools/shoals.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was planning on upping the Black Skirts to 6 or 7 and the Minnows to 5, I figured I would still have enough room for a small group of Pencilfish as they are pretty tiny?

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    They are usualy sold pretty small so if your black widows are big they would probably eat them.

I've kept the Three lined and the Ruby red. The Ruby red school better and stay in the upper part of the tank. The Three lined swim wherever they want and only school once in awhile. Both get to 2" but are slow growers IME.

They should be kept in groups of 6-10 even if they are not as social as other characins. This will help as they are a nervous fish.

The Gold pencilfish from what i've read are the hardiest.

Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by steeler58; 01-04-2013 at 07:40 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1
    They are usualy sold pretty small so if your black widows are big they would probably eat them.

I've kept the Three lined and the Ruby red. The Ruby red school better and stay in the upper part of the tank. The Three lined swim wherever they want and only school once in awhile. Both get to 2" but are slow growers IME.

They should be kept in groups of 6-10 even if they are not as social as other characins. This will help as they are a nervous fish.

The Gold pencilfish from what i've read are the hardiest.

Hope this helps you.
    Ive seen some in 2 different stores over the last couple of days and both were at least 1 inch long, I didnt realise Black Skirts eat fish anyway, in anycase mine arent that large.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Anything that can fit in another fish's mouth are usualy fair game. Your black widows are considered a semi-aggressive fish that keeping in larger schools help curb.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep