· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityFlyer
    Splendid, did you leave your fish in there while moving it?
    Yes, I did. A lot of people may disagree that this is safe to do, but as long as your tank is on a solid, easy-to-move stand and you don't have to lift it more than a half inch to an inch off the ground (or not at all if you can slide it, even better) I think you'll be okay. I didn't have a problem at all. We just went very slow and moved it a few inches at a time.

I did it this way because my fish are IMPOSSIBLE to catch. A few weeks before hand I had tried to catch them all to do a tank remodel, and spent about 6 hours catching fish...only to have caught half of them. Maybe I just suck at netting them, not sure... but I couldn't for the life of me do it.
    Last edited by Lolita; 01-04-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

6.6 Fluval Chi: planted. stock: 1 male halfmoon betta
    Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I would recommend you empty all of the water before moving a tank

Tanks are meant to hold water, not move water.

You will be taking a risk moving it with water. It very well may work OK for your as it has for many others. Or,.... it may cause damage to the seals on your tank as it has for others as well.

What ever you decide, you need to be aware of the risks.
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-04-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Appreciate all of the help. I will take it step by step and see how it goes. Worst case I drain everything.

One last question, will I have to recycle my tank? I have two filters on it right now with plenty of good bacteria.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityFlyer
    Also, should I save the water?
    Well is this the same water you will hold the fish in temporarily? How long do you plan on having the fish out of the aquarium?

Think the fish will still go on pooping and such and if the water is not continually being filtered you might just want to add new water to tank if it's going to be several hours.

If I where to just move my tank and only have the fish out for 30-60 minutes, I'll just put the water back in. IMO!
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    If you keep your filter media in old tank water and have it off the tank no longer than 24 hours, your filter media and all the bacteria will be fine, no need to recycle.

If your fish are only going to be out of the tank for a hour or two, they should be fine as long as the temp will not drop too much
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85
    1. Drain 75% of water, keeping about 1/3 of tank water.
    Interesting maths there!

No, seriously though...I'm with the others who have said remove all the water. It is not worth the risk. Water is heavier than most people realise...just a bucketful is very heavy and that's like half an inch in that bowfront I'm sure.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I painted the wall behind my tank a while back without moving it using one of these :

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/decorat...?skuId=9703987

worked a treat
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    Interesting maths there!
    What's "interesting" about 1/3 of 75%? Seems pretty basic to me. The fish should be fine in that amount of water for a short time, too.

However, OP, I agree with the advice to remove all the fish and water. Yes, it's possible to move it with some water in it, but it's more likely that something will go wrong and then you have an emergency situation on your hands WHILE you're getting ready to paint a room. I don't know about you, but painting itself stresses me out; I can't imagine adding a broken tank on top of that! Breaking down the tank won't take as long as you think and is not particularly tricky to do.

0 Not allowed!
    LOL...I read that as if you were saying that draining 75% of the water left you with a 1/3rd of the tank volume. Sorry
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    LOL...I read that as if you were saying that draining 75% of the water left you with a 1/3rd of the tank volume. Sorry
    I agree 109% firefly ;-P

How it is written initially does not indicate at all what inuudo infers . . . Moving on...

Either way, It has already pointed out more than once that tanks are not structurally designed to be moved with water in them so if it cracks or leaks later due to seal damage you can't say you weren't weren't warned.
    Good luck
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.