· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Need to move my tank to paint behind it. Help!

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 36 gal bowfront with matching stand. I need to move it like 2-3 feet away from the wall. What is the best way to do this? HELP! Haha

0 Not allowed!
    I would get someone to help you move the tank outside your home or in a basement/garage - cover the floor/ground with newspaper and spray the tank that way - not while it's on top of the stand.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I think he is saying it is an established tank and that he is painting the room.

I would still think you need to take as much water out as possible, put water and fish in a bucket. Unplug air pump (so you aren't pumping fumes into tank water)

Put fish (in tote or something in another room)

Have someone help you move the tank / stand.

This would be a perfect time to redo the aquascape / move the tank to new location/room

0 Not allowed!
    Hardy - you appear to be correct - ok so I'm the doofus today LOL
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Moving a tank 3 feet or 30 feet works the same. You have to lighten it up or that will stress the seals. It's easier to tear it down than have to replace it.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I need to paint the wall :). Would you say like drain 2/3 of the water? I was also planning on getting some furniture movers (the object, not people) to help move it.

Also, should I save the water?

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityFlyer
    Yes, I need to paint the wall :). Would you say like drain 2/3 of the water? I was also planning on getting some furniture movers (the object, not people) to help move it.

Also, should I save the water?
    NO, Remove 1/3 MORE of the water than the amount you mentioned .. I mean all of it btw, Tanks are not built to be moved with water in them.

Do not save the dirty water.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    I JUST did this like a month ago with my 30 gallon!

I just dropped the water down to about 25%, moved it forward with the help of 1 person, then filled it back up and got it running again while I worked on the wall behind it!

Then when I was ready to move it back, I emptied it again, moved it, and refilled it. :) It was actually pretty simple and not heavy at all when I had the water low enough. My fish weren't stressed at all, either.

Edit: I should also state that I moved it while on the stand, not the tank by itself! And that my stand is on soft felt pads, so my father and I were literally able to slide it slowly about 4 feet away from the wall, then slide it back.
    Last edited by Lolita; 01-04-2013 at 03:19 PM.
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

6.6 Fluval Chi: planted. stock: 1 male halfmoon betta
    Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolita
    I JUST did this like a month ago with my 30 gallon!

I just dropped the water down to about 25%, moved it forward with the help of 1 person, then filled it back up and got it running again while I worked on the wall behind it!

Then when I was ready to move it back, I emptied it again, moved it, and refilled it. :) It was actually pretty simple and not heavy at all when I had the water low enough. My fish weren't stressed at all, either.

Edit: I should also state that I moved it while on the stand, not the tank by itself! And that my stand is on soft felt pads, so my father and I were literally able to slide it slowly about 4 feet away from the wall, then slide it back.
    Splendid, did you leave your fish in there while moving it?

0 Not allowed!
    This is what I did, but I wasn't painting, just redoing tank... so adjust as needed

1. Drain 75% of water, keeping about 1/3 of tank water.
    2. Put some of the drained water in a small tote, transfer all fish into the tote. You may want to put this in another room. Rig up your air pump, and heater for the tote (I hung mine over so that it wouldn't touch the sides) and then look into putting your filter on tote.
    3. Drain as much water as you can, and depending on how much gravel you have in it, you may want to remove some / all of that too

4. Move tank to temp position, or new permanent position.
    5. Paint (may want to cover the tank with painters plastic
    6. Put tank back, if not moved
    7. Consider changing your substrate while you have it broken down like this
    8. Put gravel and decorations back
    9. Fill slowly, use some of the water from the tote (don't believe its needed) but you can
    10. Put filter, and heater on tank, treat water
    11. Once temps ok, put fish back in, either by drip acclimation or float them

12. Crack a cold beer, and admire your handy work