· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Cycling a 2nd tank

0 Not allowed!
    So a few months back (with the help escamosa), I was able to do a fishless cycle my 75 gallon tank. I added cichlids once ready, and all are doing amazing.

My mom owns a decently large daycare and about a month ago was over at my house, once she saw the tank she decided that it would be a good idea to setup a tank for the kids. She went to the LFS and talked to an employee about what to buy and how to setup the tank. I had no idea she was doing this (apparently she wanted it to be a surprise, for whatever reason), and she called two days ago claiming it was fish ready and that it had been cycling for a month.

After getting there and looking at it, I realized there were some major problems with the tank. The filter was for a 20 gallon tank (her tank is 55) there was no heater or thermometer and it had never been treated with ammonia (or anything else).

So, I went out and bought a good filter, heater, etc... and turned all of it on yesterday.

My question is, I know it is possible to speed up a cycle with media from an established tank. I actually have two polishing filter pads from my canister filter that I was about to trade out for new ones that I can add to her tank. Some sites seem to claim that if I were to add these to her existing tank that it would basically be like an instant cycle (assuming I don't take them out for a few months). Is this correct? I would love to help get her tank established, especially because I know that her, the staff and the children were looking forward to finally getting fish.

0 Not allowed!
    It will certainly help to speed up the cycling of the tank

I would suggest using that filter media and completeling a fishless cycle. With seeded filter media like that, you can less a tank in much less than two weeks and even quicker in some cases

And you are correct, that filter media you use to seed the filter should stay in there for 5 to 6 weeks. You'll have to make sure it will not become clogged as polishing pads can do that pretty easy
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Assuming I were to add the filter media today, how would I know when the cycle is complete? Since I've only done once cycle with no seeded media, this is completely new to me.

Do I just add the media, add ammonia and see what readings I get?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    If you go fishless than simply keep the ammonia level at 1 ppm and the tank will cycle in a few weeks. If you decide to do a fish based cycle then you will need to be read the ammonia level every day and most likely very large water changes? If you must do a fish based cycle, then I can suggest work arounds, if you wish.
    Last edited by Cermet; 01-05-2013 at 12:16 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    You do realize that the ammonia levels will need to be read every day and most likely very large water changes every day with a fish cycle for the four to six weeks it may take? If this is an issue, then I can suggest work arounds, if you wish.
    I do realize this, and want to do a fishless cycle. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. My question is how to do a cycle with seeded media (without fish, adding ammonia). Like what to expect with water readings, etc...

0 Not allowed!
    AS you are do a fishless cycle, add your seeded filter media, then dose just as you did the last time you did a fishless cycle. DO NOT do any waterchanges on a fishless cycle

You should follow the same process as you did when completing a fishless cycle with all new media. The only difference is that when you do a fishless cycle with some seeded filter media, it will progress faster depending on the amount of bacteria you have in the seeded filter media you added

I would suspect you will complete your fishless cycle in under two weeks
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So add the seeded media, add the 4ppm of ammonia, test daily until cycled, water change, add fish. Correct?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChimpo
    So add the seeded media, add the 4ppm of ammonia, test daily until cycled, water change, add fish. Correct?
    Yup, good summary

Follow the instructions on the fishless cycle thread here (link in my sig) and you will be fine