· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Blood parrot babies, HELP

0 Not allowed!
    ok so I notice my 2 bps are swarming in a corner, i go to look at tiny, not micro white egg things. i thought they might be pleco eggs, so my platys are trying to eat them, and the parrots ae getting mean. So i go to scatter them, and both parrots start to attack me, for not being able to shut there mouth they sure do pack a a bite. ok so as i write this, one is picking the eggs back up while the other is moving gravel around to make a nest i assume. so the big orange parrot also has um, a penis or somthing comming from near his bottem fin above his tail. not being pervert but not sure if it is penis or egg sack, to me it is a pretty big size to be a penis for a fish. what should I do, i dont want them to get mean, i dont want fish babies; but I feel bad watching them panic

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Not an owner of BP's, but arent they sterile?
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure the males are infertile. The females will lay eggs and something could fertilise them if in the same species group / genus. Breeding behaviour is not uncommon and they will guard the eggs until they all get eaten.

A bit sad really
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hey, yea thanks guys, i was scared, yea thats what lfs said, but the way he described it as they dont lay eggs or mate... it is said though. my emerald cats are eating them, and yea it sad watching them panic.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Go on youtube and you will find an abundance of blood parrot spawining videos. Not all are sterile, many parrots can spawn with convict cichlids, which proves they are infact able to produce viable sperm/eggs.

However most blood parrots can't produce fry, but it can happen. So if they have another go they may be successful
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    its sad but as soon as i is lights out the emralds are moving in. they are already hovering near them, heck even the BN is eating them

0 Not allowed!
    It would be very rare to find a male that was fertile. You need not worry about babies altho females can spawn with other cichlids, like convicts or frontosa.

Sexing Cichlids Pictures

You will see their breeding tubes in the link.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks yall, just got up and all the eggs are gone and they are acting normal. emralds ate them

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    It would be very rare to find a male that was fertile. You need not worry about babies altho females can spawn with other cichlids, like convicts or frontosa.
    While it is happened with many central american cichlids breeding with female blood parrots, I haven't heard of a an african cichlid breeding with one of american origins. I've got to see pictures of blood parrot x frontosa hybrid.

0 Not allowed!
    Neither have I. Severums, Texas Cichlids, Red Devils, etc.