· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Well I don't know XD I guess so. I've just always really hated sand. Like. With a burning passion. But if you guys say so. Is there any good brands that come in black? I definitely don't want white sand.. I think its the most hideous substrate available. Other then clown puke gravel..

0 Not allowed!
    Not cheap, but ADA substrates are awesome (packed with nutrients) and so long as you pack it with newspaper or bubble-wrap before re-filling (then remove) you will get absolutely zero cloudiness. No need for rinsing.

Be aware that quite a few of these substrates will leech ammonia (sometimes massive amounts) for a week or two so they're not all suitable for immediate re-stocking.

Both my tanks have ADA substrate. One has Amazonia (black/brown) which leeched massive amounts of ammonia (empty). The other one has Malaya (light brown) which went into a fully stocked tank and didn't leech anything at all.

Both are soft, soily substrates that require no vacuuming and should not be disturbed. The root network in it is amazing now.

Do your research and you'll be fine.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Definitely can't afford that XD I think I'm going to stick with sand.. I really like flourite. And the price isn't horrible.. I don't mind cleaning it. If I can't find a nice black sand I'll go for flourite.

0 Not allowed!
    Super Naturals Tahitian Moon Sand is black sand... but a lot of people here have suggested buying some black sandblasting sand. You can probably find some at Lowes/Home Depot.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I'll see. I don't really want/need to buy anything really in bulk so pricing isn't too horrible for me. As long as it can give my 2" of depth and its less than $20 I'm fine. I'll check out lowes or home depot if I can :D Okay so I really need help on the lights now XD I need something that can support plants that need medium lighting requirements.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you're looking for something less than $20 and don't want the bulk, I'd go with the black fluorite.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My petmart had 12 pound bags of black floramax for less than 8 dollars. I found it was a little too much for a ten gallon tank (have a little left over). I just switched last week so I cant say how good it is long term.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Does no one have recommendations on lighting? :/

0 Not allowed!
    I only have low light-level planted tanks (and just made do with what came with the tanks) but I do have one word of advice. If you get a "single clamp" style light fitting (one that clamps only on one side), ensure it's strong. I have a plastic clamp light and it's not good. The light itself is fine but the clamp broke after just four months of use. My LFS gave me a replacement clamp...but again...it's plastic.

The better designs are the ones that are metal-based, or have a support on both sides (like an arc over the tank top).
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah XD I know what you mean. I don't know. I'll check around.. I need something that can supply 3 watts per gallon for a 10 gallon tank. That's all I know.. If someone can recommend a correct wattage bulb that'd be good for plants with medium lighting requirement that'd be fantastic. Bulbs confuse me, just looking at all the different kinds makes no sense.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 01-04-2013 at 09:23 PM.