· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Question Need a simple 'How to Calculate net W/C' sticky

0 Not allowed!
    Once more I feel that a sticky thread on this topic is critical (I'm tried of rewriting threads on this subject) since the MOST import thing we do is water changes but time after time, people are totally confused on this subject when more than a single W/C is needed!

For a post I made today, I offered a simple three stage W/C procedure and how much new water this would produce - too many people do not understand this very simple concept (the effect of separate W/C on the net clean water added and also the issue of pH drift and how to figure these things out.) I would think that such a post would be useful ...

Arrow I have a terrible truth for you Cermet....

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    I offered a simple three stage W/C procedure and how much new water this would produce - too many people do not understand this very simple concept

No matter how clearly it could possibly ever be put
    ... A sticky isn't going to improve anyones grasp of math. That issue is on their end.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I have found that the last thing people read here are the stickies.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Ok; makes sense. I guess you can take a fish to water but can't them them drink ... that is, for fresh water fish ... .

0 Not allowed!
    No sticky needed.
    90% every week. Simple and the fish love it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I have found that the last thing people read here are the stickies.
    We have stickies ???
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman
    No sticky needed.
    90% every week. Simple and the fish love it.
    No more need be said
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    No more need be said
    Actually, a lot needs to be said since the vast majority of people do not do such large W/C.

Many do multiple small changes over a week or two and understanding the relationship of volume and dilution is a concept few seem to ‘get’ and this leads to a lot of far dirtier aquariums that people end up doing far more work only to get less results.

However, I’m told most would not read so I guess it is pointless to write.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    If people read the stickies what would we all talk about. There are many wrong ways to do things in this hobby and there are many right ways to do things in this hobby and what is right for you and works may not be right for me (algae scrubbers come to mind). One large weekly water change, several smaller weekly water changes, what ever, it all results in the same thing, a clean tank with healthy fish. If you don't want to continue to do the math for people just tell them to test nitrates every day for a while and when they get close to 20ppm it's time for a water change; quick, simple, easy to understand, and very minimal math needed on their part and no math on your part. Every tank is different and has different maintenance requirements. Telling people to use their test kits not only helps them to understand the basic needs of their tank it teaches them the routine they need to follow in order to keep their own unique tank's parameters pristine. There is no need to over complicate things.
    Last edited by mommy1; 01-04-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    We have stickies ???
    LOL...why Cliff, yes we do! Don't look now but there's one right in the middle of your forehead that says, : READ THE STICKIES!

JK
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"