· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 tank Journal

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    I'm going to be absent today beyond this post but just wanted to let everyoneknowI'm getting a water purification system installed today. All water will now be rodi for the whole house. I made this decision after I had a full spectrum water test and found pesticide in my water.
    Good decision. Will your tap water be adjusted for drinking? I know you can't drink RO/DI water.

For adjusting your tank water, for dGH you can use Seachem Replenish and for buffering your pH, Seachem Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer. I will be glad to help with any questions re the use of these products. I adjust my made water to dGH of 10 and a pH of 7.3.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 07-11-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    The TDS meters are not thermometers (is that what you meant?) - they measure the total dissolved solids (organic & inorganic substances) in the water. The RO or RO/DI unit removes all the TDS and gives a made water value of 0 and a pH of 6.5. I have to add dGH back in and adjust my pH. My tap water runs anywhere from 240 to 540 TDS pH 8.4 - 8.99, depending on the rainfall or drought conditions. Last year we had a severe drought and my water TDS were consistently 500+.
    I meant the electronic thermometers that Hardy recommended that hospitals use, but I enjoyed the info. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    I meant the electronic thermometers that Hardy recommended that hospitals use, but I enjoyed the info. =]
    Oops........
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    lol, you're fine. You contributed good info. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Good decision. Will your tap water be adjusted for drinking? I know you can't drink RO/DI water.

For adjusting your tank water, for dGH you can use Seachem Replenish and for buffering your pH, Seachem Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer. I will be glad to help with any questions re the use of these products. I adjust my made water to dGH of 10 and a pH of 7.3.
    Yes the water is adjusted directly to drinkable with nothing that is required from me. I reallisticly want to steer clear of any buffers. I just want to make sure ph stays stable and go from there.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

4 Not allowed!
    Ok guys... we have all talked about it so im going to resurect this thing. I like doing things in numbers so let me lay out whats happened:

1) I ran into some major issues with my life as it related to my health, my stress level and my world as a whole. I have 4 family members living with me (bro in law, his wife and kids) and only one of them has a job. This equted to a lot of higher bills than I have ever seen, 600 a month in food easy, and a lot less space for my personal expansion. Then wife lost her job. To afford my life I had to work 7 days a week and put everything on hold. It was everything i could do to not sell everything. Thankfully it took the wife less than a month to start work again and we got back on track. With the stress though and the over work, I got pretty sick after work *you CAN work yourself to death*. So that then was the death of this project. My stand is still standing, its just covered with things in the garage and storage shelves too the place of beautiful discus growing up. My tanks are all sitting in the attic and getting dust on them waiting the day that they will again see the light in the eye of a mating appistograma.

2) With my tanks that ARE running (2 75 gallong tanks, 1 55gal, 2 29's, 2 20's, 1 10, 1 5) I experienced the losses that are already documented on here - dont want to relive that ever again!

3) Thanks to Triton, I have some extremely rare fish I am raising a breeding group of (15 Kyoga Flames Backs) and a breeding pair of Kills that the name personally escapes me as to the spelling so ill get that later.

4) I just completely reorganized my tank room and went to my local clubs first fish auction. Here are the current tank set ups:
    75 gallon = African Cichlids / Peacock's, A few Haps, A Few Mbuna... mostly males, 75 gallon = a Breeding Pair of super red sev's, 1 electric blue jack dempsy, 4 A. Lyonsi, 1 55gal = 15 Kyoga Flamebacks, 29 = Breeding pair of Lemon Jakes (peacock), Breeding Trio German Red pure bloodline from Germany, 20 = 12 baby (1in) Geophagus Red Head Tapajos, 20 = 6 Daffodil Birchardi, about 100 RCS, and an assortment of addopted Cory (not a single nip on anyone), 10 - a small group of rcs, mated pair of killi's, 4 of their babies, 5 gal = more killi babies.

You will notice that there are no discus in this list - I traded my female for the 29 gals breeding groups, I didnt want to force a pair bond with another large fish and she went to a home with over 40 discus that knows how to treat her. Shes eating and doing great so far.

5) Now I have a new project on the horizon - planning the outdoor fish room w/ auto water changing. That will come in time.

So my health is better, im out of the slump of fish keeping (I hope) and soon I will deliver some pics.

Awards Showcase

3 Not allowed!
    Apistogramma eunotus ‘Red Tail’
    Cheryl Mitchell, Daniel Terminatore, Austen Michaels liked this post
    This video shows a pair of Apistogramma defending their spawning site from their own reflections in a mirror. I use ‘mirror therapy’ to keep cichlid pairs bonded, especially pairs that I do not have extra fish of the same species for. I am convinced that an individual in a pair kept in a tank without tank mates has the potential to go nuts and start seeing its mate as a threat. I usually keep extra fish in with the pair as targets, but it that is not possible a session with the mirror once a week seems to reset their bond.

This is an excerpt from http://tedsfishroom.com/ ... I have used the mirror technique for years but honestly it was my own idea when I used it. Its awesome to know I used something that someone like Ted Judy would use.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Can anyone decipher this for me? Maybe CLiff? I just want to know if a 1in pipe in the ground to the well is not requiring a permit: http://www.coj.net/departments/regul...ermitting.aspx

2 Not allowed!
    I can't answer any of your questions, but just wanted to say thank you for resurrecting this journal.
    40 gal fw: 3 Platys; 16 Neon Tetras; 9 Cherry Barbs; ~30 Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; some Cladophora algae on dw

Awards Showcase

Good Luck w/cycling - pRED Welcome to AC - mommy1 Welcome to the AC!  Good luck on your cycle.  The fish cycle... not the other one. - KevinVA For letting us "hyjack" your post! - steeler58 Here's some happy cycling thoughts or the most annoying gift in the shop... depends on your perspective. - mommy1 
    Congratulations, time for fish! - mommy1 Congrats on completing your cycle!  Here's a parrot, since I never see anyone gift parrots. - KevinVA Congrats on your cycle!...I guess....LOL - Slaphppy7 Have a "cold beer" for completing your cycle. - steeler58 Beautiful tank!  Here's an Apisto to get you started. - KevinVA 
    Here's to your new fish purchase! - steeler58 Welcome aboard! :-) - Taurus You came, you learned, you tanked! - SeaLady A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass Terribly sorry about recent events...your luck will get better - Slaphppy7 
    I just realized you don't have any barbs. - Compass Hard days ending in beer are usually evened out to be just the right side of OK. - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Cheers to new fish! - Sandz Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Lot going in there man. Glad to hear the positives. I'm reading back through your journal now
    Special thank you to mommy1, KevinVA and slaphppy7 for all the help, it has not been easy!

"I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday"

Planted tank log
    Planted tank video

Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast