· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 tank Journal

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I probably shouldnt post this but it shows the different shadings of my fish... This was an hour after water changes... I still needed to clean the glass so dont judge!

And as promise... a video:

FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Gee, I really need to stay caught up with these threads

I would suggest re-enforcing your stand a little more (if you have not thought about this already). I would suggest cutting a 2X4 to fit in between the horizontal 2X4s and attach then to the face of the vertical 2X4s. The will give you direct wood to wood contact from the horizontal 2X4s that support the weight of the tanks and take the load all the way down to the floor. But I also like to over build things a little.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I would also suggest staining or painting the stand as well. Pressure treated wood does have a tendency to split and crack as the chemicals used to treat it dry out. It can still stain from water marks as well. The treatment is primarily used to protect the wood from insects, bacteria and fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Well its been a while and things have been progressing slowly. My electric has been installed allowing access for pumps and heaters. My stand is up, sort of. I need to put some screws in the shelves, anchor to the wall and run plumbing. Also need to build the sump and paint the walls with moisture resistant paint. Also looking to stain the wood... maybe but its pressure treated and has no need for it.

Here is my stand with tanks on it:

Cool video as well. How long do you QT your discus for ? I have read about so many different approach for discus
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-30-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice Discus Mr. Sandz.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Sandz the Discus are stunning!!! and holy crap you sure have gotten tons of work done on the stand, it looks great!

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    @Cliff - I have the wood ready to be cut and installed, but didnt want the added weight yet. The tanks themselves are getting cleaned, stem pipes installed, the wall behind it is going to be painted, there is one more electrical box to put in and then the thought of staining. Also have to consider building the sump, plumbing, installing the lights. Ill be lucky to have this finished by November lol.

The discus actually were not aclimated. They were brought home and put in thier very own 29gal tank with a brand new, uncycled sponge filter. There was no drip or anything considering the person I bought them from lived 30min from my house with the same overall readings. The one thing that was good for them is they were given bag buddies prior to moving and kept in a styrofoam container in individual bags.

@Steeler - Thank you sir

@Judi - Its been a lot of work. I appreciate the kind comments. The stands are close to done. I think I am going to go with staining them but thats a final thing. I havnt screwed the plywood down or painted the area lol. Soooo much more to do!

0 Not allowed!
    I am still very jealous of this. I love seeing updates though. If you lived closer I'd help with the build for a few brews

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    There is such an easy way to remedy that situation Chris, MOVE!!! There are lots all around me for sale on brand new homes.

0 Not allowed!
    me and the fiance have considered it many times.... I just don't know if I could do Jacksonville... I'm a colts fan

For now the wedding is what we are saving for, after that a house -> MORE TANKS ;)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Wouldnt be any different than being in the Bills area lol. Hope the wedding goes well and I wish you happy hunting. Just for comparison though, I bought a 3300 sqft home with 3bath 5 beds for under 200k brand new.

0 Not allowed!
    yea, ideally house wise we would like a 3-4 bed, 2 bath with a dry basement and attic

Looking like 1500sf. Around here depending on the exact area that can range 70k- 250k lol

Thinking my budget for a first house would be 120-150 ish...

I'm just sick of paying rent. Plus I want some place to set up tanks for a bit longer term. The fiance is "ok" with what I have now being part of the house decorations... however more would have to be in my future mancave. Which I am still planning. I go back and forth with how many tanks I really want.

A good friend of mine is having issues since he built his rack and said "thats it for tanks" since he finished he has had the following happen, plecos breeding like crazy and only one tank for try, trying to breed borellis, his picotee livebearers bred for him, and his sterbai are still popping out eggs left and right. He needs to build another fry rack of all 10g tanks.

So what I may do is a show rack, and a fry rack

Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast