· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default My 46 Gallon Bow Front Tank

4 Not allowed!
    I am starting a new Thread to Journal my newest tank, a 46 Gallon Bow Front Tank.

I received it for FREE! The previous owner has not had water in it for more than two years, it leaks, and the top and bottom frames were cracked. The top frame had the crossbeam removed and was cracked clear through at the front corners. The bottom frame still has the crossbeam, the under glass supports are all intact.

I was unable to locate any aftermarket frames and the manufacturer doesn't sell the frame only. So, I am going to keep the bottom frame in place, and simply wrap a new frame around the plastic one that is there, again, the bottom portion is in good condition, the face of the frame has a minor crack in each of the front corners. I will build a new frame for the top.

I failed to take a "before" photo, but while I could see through the tank, I couldn't have read a newspaper through it. After a thorough cleaning, I stripped out all of the old silicone, and re-sealed it. Here it is, waiting for a few new frames and then a water test. I will let this cure for at least two weeks before I water test it. In the mean time, I am going to start building Top and Bottom Frames and a 3D background and some caves for the FREE Kribensis I am getting later this week...

IMG_20161023_184912.jpg
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Looks beautiful! Post updates as things move along. I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Just because it burns doesn't mean you're gonna die; just because you die doesn't mean you're gonna burn.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Gorgeous tank! Can't wait to see some progress...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunqn81 View Post
    Gorgeous tank! Can't wait to see some progress...
    I am too... Unfortunately, the Kribs fell through. The guy who has them hasn't responded to texts. Since they fell through and this tank was for them, it has been relegated to sitting for a few weeks. I'll update here when I do more with it.

I decided to put an aluminum frame on it, but then I learned there is a glass shop in town that will cut curved pieces, so I am considering doing a "European Style" glass brace on top which will look much better than an Aluminum brace. That said, I already purchased the aluminum... Decisions, decisions...
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    That's too bad. Hope you find some new fish soon