· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 164 1231151101 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58 Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7 
    No endlers but have a guppy for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58 Happy Easter and thanks for the Rep! - Silbar Thank you for the Endlers!!! - Boundava Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 

Default Deb's 46G Peaceable Kingdom

3 Not allowed!
    First off I got the bug again, and I'm sure all of you know exactly what I'm talking about. I took my nephew to visit Sea Life Aquarium in Michigan and well, here I am.

Bought a 46 gal bowfront National Geographic Tank from a big box pet store. Paired it with the following equipment:
    • Fluval Aqua Clear 70 HOB filter
    • Aqueon 150 W submersible heater
    • Fluval Q.5 air pump to drive a few aerator stones and one ornament
    • Small airstone
    • 8" air bubble curtain
    • gang valve to run the various stones at different rates
    • API Master water test kit (thank you forum responders for the tip!)
    • 1 quart of janitor strength ammonia from Ace hardware (again, thanks for the tip!)
    • Hidden LED lights came with the set up, I really don't like them but will replace at another time when I get over the sticker shock of all of this!
    • Various rocks, artificial plants, artificial driftwood and a planted large artificial rock wall
    • Background, SeaView to get it to stick to the back of the aquarium
    • 50# of a blue mix gravel

So, it's been a busy weekend shopping and researching. So far I've rinsed the gravel, got the aquarium and stand it the place it will be kept which called for some furniture re-arranging this weekend and got the background on the aquarium. The clear glass top is on the aquarium and the goofy lights that it came with are clipped onto the front of the aquarium. It's a strange set up but it will work for now.

I hope to get the decorations cleaned and placed, get water in the tank, ammonia (still need to get that hypodermic), test my tap water and get my cycle started in the first few days of this week.

Since I'll be bored waiting for the tank to cycle I figure I'll shop for the rest of the plants and decorations and when I do a water change I can add them while the water level is lower. Also that will give me ample time to contemplate what kind of fish I want. I have a dream list floating around in my head and when I refine it, I'll post and ask for suggestions.

I'm finally on my way! Yay!

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on your new tank, I'll be following along.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, congrats and I am also subscribed.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp only tanks with Bloody Mary and Blue Dream shrimp
    20L- Boraras rasbora, Kuhli loach
    20L- Pearl/blue dream shrimp, Pygmy Cory, Ember tetras and CPD

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    Future 40B Goldfish tank
    Probiotic trial

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new tank. Looking forward to seeing this progress, I also will be following.
    255 Gallon African Cichlid Altolamprologus Compressiceps Gold Head, Neolamprologus Multifasciatus and cyprichromis Leptosoma Mamalesa
    37 Gallon community
    10 Gallon betta
    75 Gallon in progress

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Let's raise a mug... - Slaphppy7 Happy Father's Day - Slaphppy7 Hope you had a grand Father's Day Lee :-) - Taurus Congrats on your new tank and fish - Silbar Can't go wrong with corys! - Slaphppy7 
    Congrats on all your new fish! - RiversGirl Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar Merry Christmas from my home to yours brother. - Taurus Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    Oh good another thread to hijack, not that anybody here would ever do that
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year! - fishmommie Happy Easter - steeler58 glad you're back - showmebutterfly Happy new year ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 
    Congrats on the new fish - Silbar Here's to new fish and a safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 Happy Birthday - gadget228 Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Of course not, Lee, no one here would EVER do that....hahaha
    Welcome! Will watch this build!

Awards Showcase

Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 vicariously sharing your Harleys - RiversGirl I could not rep you for you tank, so have a b-day cake for the little guy ;-) - steeler58 And a cool one for dad ;-) - steeler58 Can't stop at 1! - Boundava 
    Now you have three. - Boundava Good luck to Drake! - Silbar Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

1 Not allowed!
    New journal! Congrats on the new tank!

Welcome to the Community

Tanks that are up and running:
    55 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    90 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Betta Sorority tank - Journal

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58 Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7 
    No endlers but have a guppy for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58 Happy Easter and thanks for the Rep! - Silbar Thank you for the Endlers!!! - Boundava Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you to all who are following! I hope it becomes interesting enough to read. At long last there is water in the tank along with some artificial plants and decorations. The filter is working just fine, the air pump driving a couple of bubblers is bubbling away and I'm a happy camper. I plan to dose the tank with ammonia tonight and mark this down as Day 1 of the cycle. The heater is in the tank but I forgot to pick up a thermometer so I haven't turned it on yet but I will tomorrow.

So not it's wait and watch and test water. I thought I picked up a lot of plants but it's dismally short on greenery. There's wood and a small planted rock wall, but it's a long way off till fish time.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Tested my aquarium water today after 1 day of everything up and running.

Ammonia 3 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 0 ppm

Pretty much as expected and I must have done something right to hit the ammonia 3 ppm as directed in the sticky thread for fishless cycling.

My home water tested a pH of 7.4 which I am taking somewhat with a grain of salt. I am on a community well in my association and the water is softened, however it is very dependent on who and how regular the salt is added and monitored. You can tell if the softener gets too low because the water feels different. I am guessing I will need to check this randomly.

So, are there any thoughts and comments on the results? I did turn on the heater a few hours ago and got a thermometer and the water is right around 77 F. Is there any need to test the pH in the tank if it came from the same tap as I tested tonight? The water went into it last night.

Dreaming of the day I can add fish! I'll give my list a once over and post tomorrow for comments.

Edited to add the chlorine component. Up until a month ago the wells were not chlorinated. There have been periodic problems with the quality of the water during testing and it was decided to chlorinate the water. Boo. I had to use a product to counteract the chlorine present in the water.
    Last edited by DebinWhitmore; 08-27-2015 at 03:22 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DebinWhitmore View Post
    Boo. I had to use a product to counteract the chlorine present in the water.
    What product?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers