· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Jw's First Tank Endeavor (40g breeder)

2 Not allowed!
    Well I had a nice long post all written up and for some reason when I was trying to post a pic the whole thing got erased, so I don't feel like writing it all back out so I will sum up what I had.

List of equipment so far:

1. 40g breeder (gonna try to get one at Petco or petsmart $1 per gallon sale)
    2. Current USA 36"-48" Satellite Plus PRO LED Light ( I know a lot of people have recommended the Finnex but after much consideration I think I will go with this)
    3. Classic 600 Canister Filter 2217 (this seems like a no brainer)
    4.Hydor ETH 200 In-Line External Aquarium Heater, 200w, 1/2" hose (I want as little equipment in the tank as possible)
    5. Eco complete substrate

I was also gonna post a couple pics where it is going to go so I will try and do that now.
    as you will hopefully be able to see that it is a very weird corner, this house has some odd angles.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that 10g will be a QT tank or hospital tank for now, maybe sometime down the road I will do something else with it.

I'm really bummed my first draft got erased, it was a lot more eloquent than this first post :(

Awards Showcase

Thx for the nomination. - pRED Thx for the nomination - pRED right back at cha :o) - fishmommie T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly 
    You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie Good to see you back and thanx for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58 Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos 

1 Not allowed!
    It is OK we all have had good write ups disappear on us. I like what you are starting. Good work.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 Just because I learned how to give a gift - AmazonJoe For being a good sport! - Slaphppy7 Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 
    Happy Holidays! - Boundava Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

1 Not allowed!
    I get a good story erased about once a month haha

Looks like a solid plan. You'll love your Satellite. I have one and I've had a lot of fun with it.

What are your plans for a stand? That 40b is gonna be close to 500lbs once it's filled with everything.
    29 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    55 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Aquascape - Journal
    10 gallon - Betta, shrimp, and mystery snail

5. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Oh I new I left something out from the original post. I'm going to be building my own stand.

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry your original post was erased, not sure what happened there.

Let me know if you have any other issues.

A 40B is a fun tank to build, I've had a great time with mine.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 Just because I learned how to give a gift - AmazonJoe For being a good sport! - Slaphppy7 Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 
    Happy Holidays! - Boundava Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

3 Not allowed!
    Right on. I never trust a lot of the store-bought stands. I'm sure they're fine, but they always look so flimsy and I have a two-year-old running around all the time :P The DIY stands can be rock-solid if you build them right.

There's also the bonus of DIY being much cheaper

Have you given much thought on what type of plants are going in this? With the Eco Complete and the Satellite Pro, you should be able to grow quite a bit of plants.

Awards Showcase

I like shoals. :) - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 Get well soon! - RiversGirl Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos 

3 Not allowed!
    Great choices on the Eco Complete and the Satellite light. I don't use canister filters but those that do seem to rate the Eheim Classic very high, so looks like a great choice there, too. Looks like someone has been doing a bit of reading/research - good for you.

Awards Showcase

3 Not allowed!
    +1 to what Sue said. It's great that you've been spending so much time researching and asking a bunch of great questions. Quite a few people, including myself, started this hobby with no idea what we were doing and lost fish and wasted a bit of money in the beginning. Like I said in my thread, I think you have a good head on your shoulders and I believe you will be a very successful aquarist.

We see a lot of new people pop in, but the majority of them just come by long enough to ask a question and then leave if they don't hear the answer they want. Every so often we get newcomers like yourself who show the desire to learn and more importantly apply that knowledge to their hobby. I think you'll fit in quite nicely around here!

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Have you given much thought on what type of plants are going in this? With the Eco Complete and the Satellite Pro, you should be able to grow quite a bit of plants.
    I'm not certain yet which plants I want, I still need to do some research on all the different plants to see which I want to add. I want it to be full but I don't want it to be all crazy and to busy looking if you know what I mean