· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Cloudy Water

Hybrid View

1. Default Cloudy Water

0 Not allowed!
    My tank finished cycling about two weeks ago and I added a Bristlenose Pleco about three days ago and the water has been cloudy for the past two days. I have no nitrites and no ammonia in the tank, and I haven't checked my nitrate levels yet. I did a 5 gallon water change yesterday, I think helped a little but I am not sure. I really don't want to use chemical clarifers or anything like that, except maybe using biological clarifers.

Any thoughts? Could my tank be going through a mini-cycle?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeneyc
    My tank finished cycling about two weeks ago and I added a Bristlenose Pleco about three days ago and the water has been cloudy for the past two days. I have no nitrites and no ammonia in the tank, and I haven't checked my nitrate levels yet. I did a 5 gallon water change yesterday, I think helped a little but I am not sure. I really don't want to use chemical clarifers or anything like that, except maybe using biological clarifers.

Any thoughts? Could my tank be going through a mini-cycle?
    Were any fish added once the tank finished cycling or is the pleco the 1st fish being added?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's heterotrophic bacteria. Do more water changes and gravel vacuum the gravel to remove the organics feeding it.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What color is the "cloudy"

generally: green=algae and white=bacteria bloom.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nope there weren't any other fish added to the tank after or before the pleco, he is the only one in there.

The color is white.

If I were to gravel vacuum the gravel, won't it remove a lot of the good bacteria down there as well?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, heterotrophic bacteria encompasses most of the bacteria that exists in a fish tank, be they aerobic or anaerobic. Wouldn't removing that bacteria negatively impact the tank?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Autotrophic bacteria is the one we strive for when cycling the aquarium. The ones that consume ammonia at a higher rate and consume nitrites.

Heterotrophic bacteria produces at a much faster rate than autotrophic bacteria, and take up the space of autotrophic bacteria.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?...oms-explained/

Reducing the amount of organic waste in your tank is the ultimate solution to treating a bacterial bloom, and avoiding a build up of organic waste in the tank is the best way to prevent a bloom. The best way to do this is to maintain a regular aquarium husbandry routine involving water changes and substrate vaccuuming.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 01-03-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeneyc
    My tank finished cycling about two weeks ago and I added a Bristlenose Pleco about three days ago
    What ammonia source fed your BB inbetween the completion of the cycle and the addition of the pleco?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.