· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Help with Co2 please

0 Not allowed!
    I want to put together a Co2 system for my 55 gallon tank. I am wanting to do a pressurized Co2 system that I am able to turn on and off with the aquarium lighting.

1. Is there a good kit that contains everything I need that isn't too expensive yet made of good quality components?

2. If I decided to buy the parts individually and put together my own system. What exactly do I need? best brands/model/type links appreciated. Specifically I get credits to spend on grainger.com for items from time to time can i get anything from that website that would work? I just don't know enough to sort out exactly what to buy on my own.

My goal is to have a Co2 system for my tank that works well and doesn't cost more then $150-$200. Would love to stay under $100.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I personally have never seen a kit-unless you buy from someone who buys everythinge seperate and puts it all in a box for you. lol

a good co2 seems to run at about 200bucks. I was doing research for a potential set up and the quality comes at a price.
    a milwaukee regulator with built in bubble counter seems to be the ideal one, but it is also 90+bucks.

then you have a 5-10+ gallon CO2 tank. and pending your state/country laws you may have to buy local and get it registered and do other stuff.
    5gallon's start at around 50-60 and it goes up from there.
    the tank size is all about the space that you have for it. smaller tanks=easier to fit in an area but cost more in refilling so frequently.

lastly, you'll need a good diffuser and quality tubing. the airline tubing cost maybe 10buckss, but the diffuser is personal choice-some are nice to look at, others get the job done and it depends how you want the co2 to get in the tank. but you need a good diffuser to allow the co2 to disolve in the water for the plants to take up.

but more importantly. is your lighting/nutrient up to par to handle co2? aquatic planting is considered to be a balanced equilateral triangle for lights, co2, nutrients on the corners. when you add/increase one, you need to alter the others for keep it balance. or else that is how you get algae.

hope that helped.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info. Lighting and nutrients shouldn't be a problem. We should have plenty of lighting. I have 2 54w T5HO lights on the tank mounted 4 inches from the top in a Nova Extreme T5 SLR fixture. Nutrients we currently use seachem flourish tabs in the tank every 2-3 months and dose once a week with Flourish. Plus we get some potassium from a buffer we use for our KH (we have well water so we have to add a buffer for our KH and GH to stabilize our PH). Nutrients we can adjust as needed.

I just figure if we are going to go the Co2 route then we want to do it right but we also can't afford to pay $400 for a system.

As for kits Drsfostersmith.com has a few and Aquariumplants.com has some also. They tend to be expensive and I am not sure if they are worth the cost.

0 Not allowed!
    Redsea makes a kit that is perfect for your needs. The cost also fits within your budget. I use it on my 90g with great results. I have the one that uses the paintball CO2 tanks(sold seprately) and each tank lasts a couple months. It is easy to find places that refill them, basically any sporting goods store that sells paintball equipment (not the big box stores).

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher
    Redsea makes a kit that is perfect for your needs. The cost also fits within your budget. I use it on my 90g with great results. I have the one that uses the paintball CO2 tanks(sold seprately) and each tank lasts a couple months. It is easy to find places that refill them, basically any sporting goods store that sells paintball equipment (not the big box stores).
    Can you link to the kit you use? You have me interested in looking it up.

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_C...FICORE-vi.html

They also have a deluxe version with a solenoid that automatically turns it on and off.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome. Thank you!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont believe you want to be using a paintball system for a 55 gal tank. You'll be refilling it way to often.

For my 55g tank, I use a 10lb tank and it lasts about 3/4 of a year.

And you most definitely want a solenoid to turn it off at night.

I bought the DrsFosterandSmith kit
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...35&pcatid=9935

The bubble counter is cheesy and broke after a few days, and the diffuser kept clogging up so I ditched that for a homemade Rex Grigg style reactor.

If I had to do it over, I'd buy just the regulator and a timer and use the homemade reactor.

And I would seriously consider not buying a nice shiney tank either. Around here, no one refills tanks. They only exchange them. So who wants to buy a shiney new tank and get and old grungy rusty tank in exchange. Just start with the grungy tank to begin with when you purchase your first tank of CO2.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help. I am having some from another forum put together a really nice set up for me. Should like pretty close to the attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmagerl
    I dont believe you want to be using a paintball system for a 55 gal tank.
    Yeah, I can see why you wouldn't want to use that system. Here is a picture of Kingfishers 90 gallon tank that won TOTM and TOTY that he uses it on. Who wants a tank that looks like that.

When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.