· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Adding fish to a recently cycled tank

0 Not allowed!
    So my tank has finished cycling and I wanted to add some new fish. I currently have 4 Black Skirt Tetras and 4 White Cloud Mountain Minnows so I want to start by increasing my shoals. I figured i'd get 3 more Black Skirts, but I was just wondering as its a recently cycled tank should I use a product such as API Quick Start when adding them?

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

0 Not allowed!
    Adding a bacteria booster will not hurt at all but not necessary if you stock slowly. I do like to keep a booster on hand at the house. Never know when a mini-spike may happen for unknown reasons......like medications, over-cleaning, whatever.

PS......The smallest of the black skirts are the males in case you wanted to get more of one sex than the other.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 01-03-2013 at 11:55 AM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK cheers I will add the fish on their own then and and just keep an eye on my levels.

One other question, I also want some Amano shrimp and read that their bioload is very tiny, would it be ok to put some of these in at the same time as the Black Skirts?

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, they will love that tank. (So do I.)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Yes, they will love that tank. (So do I.)

I will pick some up then

0 Not allowed!
    I have 4 amanos in my tank - they are all over the tank and quite interesting to watch.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I went to the store today and they had no Black Skirts in stock :(

So after much deliberation I picked up a Peal Gourami and 3 Amano shrimp instead. So far so good, the Pearl was very timid at first but relaxed and started exploring fairly quickly, and the shrimp literally started eating as soon as they had fallen out of the net! Your right they are very interesting to watch, I didnt realise they sometimes swim around like fish

Only problem so far, when I fed my fish the gourami stayed at the bottom and wouldnt come up. And later when I had to open the tanks lid it hid inside a cave until it was closed, is it likely to get more confident at feeding time?