· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Rinsing/Replacing AC biomedia

0 Not allowed!
    Do any of you actually change your biomedia in your aquaclear filters or do you just rinse it. I believe the box says to put in new media every 3 months?( would have to look at the box for specifics) but it does say to change it. I have before but it just seems like it would be doing more damage than good. So should I continue just giving it a little shake off in tank water to get any gunk off, or should I be replacing it like the box says?

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by blu
    Do any of you actually change your biomedia in your aquaclear filters or do you just rinse it? Nope, I just rinse mine
    So should I continue just giving it a little shake off in tank water to get any gunk off, or should I be replacing it like the box says?
    Keep doing as your doing. I have absolutely no idea how old my media is if that tells you anything, I have no plans to replace it either.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    cool, maybe it is just a marketing thing...more profits if people have to replace stuff.

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by blu
    cool, maybe it is just a marketing thing...more profits if people have to replace stuff.
    Exactly... Knowledge is your friend.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I have added new sponges to mine but I also have a canister filter running so no bacteria would be lost. I would not replace it without a secondary filter to make up for what you remove. Based on the same reasoning, I also clean my sponge under hard-flowing water right from my tap to get it cleaner.

But I replaced the sponge after 2 years, not 3 months. That's not necessary at all.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't want to change the topic here but if you clean the sponge under hard-flowing water right from your tap would it kill some of the BB on your sponge? Should you only do this when you have another filter running so you don't lose BB or is it fine to do whenever?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I also clean my sponge under hard-flowing water right from my tap to get it cleaner.

But people obviously do this, so is it only safe to do if you have another filter running or is it okay to do if you save the BB on from the biomax that is also in AC filters?