· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default 20 Gallon Long - Rescue Mission

0 Not allowed!
    I did my usual craigs list search and found a 20 gallon long for sale for only $20 and it included all the extras. Filter, heater, hood, light, bottle of prime, gravel vaccuum, net, ornaments, etc. Turns out this tank belonged to an old lady who passed away and has not been maintained well for a couple of months. The tanks residents included 3 glass catfish and 1 cherry barb (yeah I know, terrible stocking). There was a tremendous amount of green algae building up everywhere, and huge towers of white mold coming out of the substrate.

I have temporarily re-homed the fish in my 55 gallon and drained the tank. I have hooked up the filter in my 55 to maintain the BB, and I will start the big clean out this weekend. The fish survived the transfer so far.

My plan right now is to get the tank sparkling clean, do a sandy bottom with natural rock and driftwood and do some plants. Was thinking of doing some three lined cory cats, some head and tail light tetras, and some shrimp.

What would you all do if you had the choice?

Pictures will follow in the next few days.

I could not pass up this deal for $20.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Assuming everything is in good working order, I'd say that's a really great deal.

Many folks get excited when PetCo does their $1 per gallon sale (me included) and for our $20 we will get just the 20 gal tank - no filter, heater, lights, etc. So actually, as long as the tank holds water, it's a good deal.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavis1979
    The tanks residents included 3 glass catfish and 1 cherry barb (yeah I know, terrible stocking). There was a tremendous amount of green algae building up everywhere, and huge towers of white mold coming out of the substrate.

My plan right now is to get the tank sparkling clean, do a sandy bottom with natural rock and driftwood and do some plants. Was thinking of doing some three lined cory cats, some head and tail light tetras, and some shrimp.
    Boy, that IS a great deal! Any possibility of adding to the cherry barbs - they enjoy larger groups - 20gal is not the type of tank to add too many different types of fish -shrimp would be good - cories need larger groups than 3 - hmmmm.

At least the fish seem to be doing well - good job!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am a member of a local fish keeping club and I am asking around to see if anyone already has a school of cherry barbs and want a free fish. I am hoping to re-home these guys and start fresh, but if I dont have luck with that, getting a school of cherry barbs instead of the head and tail light tetras is a real good possibility.

I have had rotten luck with tiger barbs tearing into ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp. Do you know if the cherry barbs would be equally aggressive towards the shrimp?

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Cherry barbs will be fine with your shrimp. Obviously if you want them reproducing have a large hiding area for them because anything will eat baby shrimp, but Cherrys should be fine in a school.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, cherry barbs are very peaceful fish, however, I agree with Sandz that little shrimp will become meals unless they have places to hide.

Good idea to rehome those fish if you can - that will help you get fish you really want.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So here is the tank after draining and dirty.

Then after some intense scraping and scrubbing, here we are clean!