· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default so is marineland bad?, good canisster and inline heater??

0 Not allowed!
    it seems people i talk to at lfs and some reviews all point that marineland canisters are heading down hill, the new emperor 400s speak for themselves but I am looking for a good canister for a 55 that is poweful enough to do it without any help from a HOB. I was looking c530, it is 500gph. I just want somthing 400gph and up; somthing not getting by but exception. Also are inline heaters able to go in all canisters or will they say it. also not wanting to spend over 200.00 bucks... Am i asking the world.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelfish11788
    it seems people i talk to at lfs and some reviews all point that marineland canisters are heading down hill, the new emperor 400s speak for themselves but I am looking for a good canister for a 55 that is poweful enough to do it without any help from a HOB. I was looking c530, it is 500gph. I just want somthing 400gph and up; somthing not getting by but exception. Also are inline heaters able to go in all canisters or will they say it. also not wanting to spend over 200.00 bucks... Am i asking the world.
    what is your stock gonna be ? best 1 filter imo for you and your price point would be the either the xp3 or xp4 at big als depending on your stock again . as far as the inline heaters myself i wouldn't want to put my trust in them ymmv ..

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    4x fish, Angel pair(proven, not putting 2 together) a featherfin syno and a gold goruami. still iffy on GG though

thanks, i thought inline were the bees knees, i will check on the renas. Painted back, it is a show tank for the living room

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I'm not completely sold on inline heaters, either, despite some people on here swearing by them.

You could get a Penn Plax Cascade 1000 for your tank. I've got one for my 75gal and it does exactly what it's supposed to do, and does it well. I added a 40+10gal sponge filter on the other side and together I'm set. IMO - best bang for your buck.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    Yeah, I'm not completely sold on inline heaters, either, despite some people on here swearing by them.

You could get a Penn Plax Cascade 1000 for your tank. I've got one for my 75gal and it does exactly what it's supposed to do, and does it well. I added a 40+10gal sponge filter on the other side and together I'm set. IMO - best bang for your buck.

thanks, lol i am burning the wic at both ends. setting up a 125 and 55 at same time. so yea. i will check them out, trying to get second hand, not going so well.

0 Not allowed!
    I love my inline heaters, I put them on as many tanks as I can. Haven't had any issues with them, whereas I've had in tank heaters short out and fry my fish. Agree that an XP3 sounds like a good filter for your budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-EXTERNA...item23268c68f0

i supposed a cheap kncockoff, wonder if it is good

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can tell you from personal experience that the Marineland C-360 Canister line is terrible. The first one I got when they were new on the market ran well for a couple years, so I bought another. That one died out of the box. Drs Foster & Smith sent me a new one immediately (love that online store). The new one lasted a year or so til I had to replace the seal mount where the lines come into the filter head. Then the original one died and I replaced it. I only got a year or so out of the replacement and the one I still have left is on it's way out. I've gone through impellers like crazy with them. Also - they have a habit of leaking if you don't seal them properly - which can take a long time and many tries to stack the trays perfectly. In addition, if you wanted to run an in-line heater (which I've heard horror stories of leaking and overheating), I don't believe the line size will work. The Marinelands use an odd standard line size that doesn't match the in-line heaters so you would need to customize.

I've never tried the Fluvals...I was thinking of trying that next but I went back to the Filstar XP line (which is now API). I would say you should be fine with an XP-3...that thing pushes a lot of water. I've had at least four of those things over the past several years and am running one now. It was loud at first but quieted right down after a day or so. There's lots of basket room to customize your filter media. The only downside is the intakes and hoses are horrid colors and stand out like sore thumbs in an aquarium (at least the Marineland hoses and intakes were black).

Here's an example of my filtration on my 75 gallon (previously 125 gallon a week ago):

1 x Marineland C-360 w/ custom media including Azoo Bio-Glass, Bio-Balls, crushed coral (buffer for soft water), and sponges
    1 x API Filstar XP-3 w/ custom media including Azoo Bio-Glass, Bio-Balls, and sponges

Fish load: 2 x Green Severums, 1 x Angel, 3 x Bala Sharks, 7 x Peppermint Tetras, 3 x Tiger Barbs, 2 x Cory Cats, 1 x African Butterfly, 1 x African Leaf Fish, 1 x Bushynose Pleco, 1 x Common Pleco, 1 x Blue Gourami

My fish tank is way overfiltered, lol.
    Last edited by MustangMelissa; 01-03-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelfish11788
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-EXTERNA...item23268c68f0

i supposed a cheap kncockoff, wonder if it is good
    I suspect that the first half of your sentence answers the second part but you might want to ask the reviewer here if that looks familiar http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/revi...duct=545&cat=4

Might want to see if he could post a picture as well as it would be a LOT more helpful, Those filters are marketed under several brand names.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Rat
    I love my inline heaters, I put them on as many tanks as I can. Haven't had any issues with them, whereas I've had in tank heaters short out and fry my fish. Agree that an XP3 sounds like a good filter for your budget.
    Two +1s to the above

I really like my in line heaters and I do not think I would go back to using other heaters in tanks without sumps

The rena XP3 would be a great choice for your set-up as well
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]